Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Bobby Lefebre -- Spoken Word

Discussions, Rants & Resources
Tracy Mitchell

Bobby Lefebre -- Spoken Word

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Bobby Lefebre -- I got a chance to hear him in person.

Click here:

Social Worker - Spoken word

Dave

Re: Bobby Lefebre -- Spoken Word

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am

I enjoyed the poem but am curious about the delivery. I have not admittedly been to too many spoken word evenings or poetry slams but the delivery always seems breathless and urgent, somewhat exhausting. Are there other kinds of delivery? I used to ahve the same impressions abut certain rap artists like Eminem - great rhymes and content but he always just sounded angry so it became all one after a while. I am not saying this is true of Lefebre but am curious. 
Dave

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:36 am

Breathless and urgent -- yes, excellent description. Most of his pieces that I have heard are of subject matter intensely personal which seem to require a passionate presentation. These are not "Ode to a Daffodil" kind of works. I am not real conversant in slam poetry, and really have next to no poems which would lend themselves to such a presentation. Still, I am captured by the passion, sincerity and personal scope of these.

Among other things, Lefebre is a strong voice for Latino culture and inclusion. These are from my notes from hearing him present: ". . .a place at the table? We destroy the table! We will build together the replacement. . . old bones and new blood. . . talk about things that are hard to talk about. . . talk loud, talk fast -- no hesitation!. . . be LOUD -- be full in the heart with courage. . . . "

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 pm

I really enjoyed Bobby Lefebre's performance. I performed poetry at open mic venues for several years, and the things I learned compel me to say that Bobby did pretty much everything right. Two things stand out...

One, he kept his eyes on the audience, which made it more likely that people would feel as though they were participating in his performance rather than just watching and hearing it.

Two, he was obviously enthusiastic but not overly histrionic. Goofy hats, exaggerated body language and other Slam theatrics should never distract an audience from the story being told, the points being made.
Words go together in zillions of ways. Some ways go shallow and some ways go deep. ~ James Dickey

AlienFlower

Post by AlienFlower » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks, Tracy. We have rappers in our family so I watched Netflix's "Rhythm & Flow" series and really gained respect for what's involved in a performance, and how the best performances are underlaid with a passion for some issue bigger than the performer is.

I'm not very familiar with poetry slams but I can imagine that in the same way the speakers have to get the rhythm and flow going in their heads before they get up there, and that's bound to make it intense. With Lefebre, I kept worrying about his gasping. 

Jackie