Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Governor Declares Linda Christenson Day!!

Discussions, Rants & Resources
Tom

Governor Declares Linda Christenson Day!!

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:25 am

Linda "Indar" Christenson was honored yesterday by Minnesota Governor Tim Wallz proclaiming August 26, 2021 to be Linda Christenson Day in commemoration of her 50 years as the butter sculptor of Princess Kay candidates at the Minnesota State Fair.  For those of you who do not know, the Minnesota dairy industry is huge, and has a large presence at the State Fair.  Each year candidates from 8 regions of the state compete for the title of Princess Kay of the Milky Way.  As part of the process, each candidate has their likeness carved in a large block of butter.  Since 1970, Linda has been that sculptor.  In a word, she has become a legend.  

This presentation is being made outside the Minnesota Dairy Building on the State Fair Grounds. The dude in the yellow cap is Minnesota Governor Tim Walz holding the framed proclamation. He is in shirtsleeves because it is August in Minnesota. To his immediate left is the sculptor/poet who needs no introduction. She and the sashed Princess Kay contestant are wearing coats because it is cold in her carving booth inside the Dairy Building.  I had the pleasure of visiting the building a few years ago while Indar was at work.  Her studio is a refrigerated rotating room with glass walls for folks to watch her work.  It was my observations that Linda and her booth are the centerpoint of the Dairy Building.  Here are a few photos:

And my favorite:

Tom

Re: Governor Declares Linda Christenson Day!!

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:29 pm

The presentation:

Gov Walz declares Indar Day

The audio is not good, but the occasion is grand.

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:04 pm

Indar's tiny.  ;-)

I never visualised her as a strapping great farm wench, capable of shaking a cow around to make an udder full of butter, but not that little. 

Maybe the cold in that carving booth has shrunk her over the last fifty years.

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

AlienFlower

Post by AlienFlower » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:45 am

What a recognition, Linda! Congratulations!

What happens to your pieces when you have finished? Have you ever worked with another more permanent medium?

Jackie

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:34 am

Excellent article -- https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minnesota- ... ntury-run/

Minnesota's Michelangelo!  

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:32 am

Congratulations, Buttercup!

Well-deserved recognition, I'm sure.

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am

I enjoyed that video.

There was fine air of quiet ceremony as Indar laid her 'old faithful' carving knife across her arm, handing it hilt first to her successor.  Like a soldier surrendering his sword when he formally 'lays down his arms'.

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks for letting us know Tracy.
That's quite an honour, huge congrats Linda.
I have a feeling that the Governor is very tall, and Linda just looks small compared to him...either way, she's a giant to all of us who know her...and she looks so fab for her age.

indar

Post by indar » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:39 am

Thank you all for acknowledging my landmark year. I must clear something up: I am 4'10" tall 97 lbs. I have accepted that i will never be a runway fashion model and that i will always have to ask for help reaching stuff on the higher shelves in the grocery store. Here is what i tell myself: you got yer thoroughbred race horses and greyhounds and you got yer beagles and shetland ponies--the latter are not beautiful but they're cuddly :D :D

Dansinger

Post by Dansinger » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:12 am

I know, I'm awfully late to the party, but nevertheless: Congrats!
That's awesome!