Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Holiday Cheers

Discussions, Rants & Resources
Tracy Mitchell

Holiday Cheers

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:46 pm

Colm Roe

Re: Holiday Cheers

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Happy Christmas to you, all at TTB and those ducks, who are obviously delighted not to be turkeys. They look happy now...but their goose will eventually be cooked...or shot :(

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to the poets.  May you get to spend it with those  you want to be with, and wishing you the strength and patience to deal with those who you'd rather have avoided.

I'm having a quiet Christmas this year, apart from a bit of a 'ring-around' of family and friends.

=====

I've been a bit preoccupied of late so haven't joined in.  (Nothing bad, just rather busy elsewhere.)

Deb took me to task- gently and politely - for not joining in with 'the fives'.  I missed that somehow and then couldn't find my way in.  How do I sign in for the next batch?

Gyppo

I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:01 pm

indar

Post by indar » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:54 am

I apologize to my friends on TTB for being, at best, a drive-by poster. I am nearing the end of a long slog. I interviewed 40+ women over a 2-year period between 2018-2019, planning to write a book about butter sculpture/dairy farming/women farmers. If only I'd known then what I know now. I thought that because they knew the interviews were for a book--good enough. But the publisher won't publish until I have signed release agreements from everyone I interviewed and everyone I named including their passing mention of other people. I have been tracking them all down, politely requesting they sign, then cajoling, then pleading. I'm almost there, although I might have to rewrite some parts if I don't hear back from the last of them. 

I do look in on TTB every once in a while, and then feel guilty for not commenting but if I did, I'd feel guilty about spending time doing that instead of working on the book. I am doing pen and ink drawings to include as well.

I'll be back in time to brush up for NaPo.

Happy New Year

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:01 pm

Indar - what a marvelous project!  I can't wait to see the finished product.  Such a large scope -- the work involved must be enormous.  I feel for you with the unexpected drudge work at the what should have a conclusion. 

A few years ago the Poetry Society of Colorado partnered with a Denver-based artist group.  The group held an exhibition of their paintings, and we poets did the ekphrastic thing -- wrote poems inspired by the paintings.  I took it a few steps further.  I photographed a number of the paintings and wrote an ekphrastic poem for each painting. There was a reception at which we gathered around each painting while the poem was read by the poet.  It was a fine day.  Each of the artists of the paintings I selected were very pleased. I then prepared a small chapbook-like thing containing my photo of the painting on the lefthand page and my poem on the facing page.  I then contacted each of the artists for  their consent, and guess what? Nobody could follow through -- nobody objected but I finally gave up on trying to obtain written consents.  So now I have some volumes of a self-published chapbook that I only distribute privately.   

Anywhoo, Indar, I hope you so reach a satisfactory conclusion to this so (1) we get you back, and (2) we get to see your book.  :) :)

In the meantime to "brush up for NaPo", as you say, might I suggest you pop in to FIVES.  It is a board in Members Square we have been test-driving for a while.  The idea is starting on the fifth day of each month you write and post a poem for five consecutive days.  5 poems in 5 days -- that's it.  A taste of NaPo without people stand on the track holding out water for you to drink on your way past.  It is turning out to be a good deal.  I like it because it is no-pressure writing, and I do write.  I don't always get the full five poems in, but I do write, which is what it is about.

Cheers, Indar.

T

Deb

Post by Deb » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:49 pm

I hope you all had happy holidays and I hope the new year finds all of you happy, healthy, and comfortable.

Linda! I'm glad to know you're okay. I just left a message on your phone. Don't mind me.

To Vaughn, Marcel, and Cheryl, I hope you are all out of harm's way. Tracy told me he's clear of the fire. I hope you are all in the safe zone.

Love to All!

~Deb