Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Heads Up!

Discussions, Rants & Resources
Tracy Mitchell

Heads Up!

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:10 pm

Seemingly as a protective measure, TTB will automatically log you off if you are inactive for a sufficiently long period of time.  

This is a cautionary tale of woe.  There have been several occasions when I have not been paying attention while I write an extended comment directly into the posting window.  Sometime before I hit submit, TTB has quietly logged me off without notice.  Then when I do hit the submit button, it takes me to the log in screen.  Once I am logged back in, I find my draft comment has not been saved and I haven't been able to retrieve it.  Thus, all is lost.  If it happened to my only once, I would not be posting the warning.  It has happened, not often, but too often.

What to do -- compose your comments on your word processor, then past them into the posting window and submit.  Or if you find that you have already written a time-consuming comment, do a quick highlight and control-C to save your text before you hit "submit", to protect your text in the event you have been logged out.  

Cheers.

T

Mark

Re: Heads Up!

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:49 am

Uh. It's happened to me too. What you can also do is to immediately click on the return back arrow at the top left next to the address bar which will return you to your page with your draft and then you can copy it for pasting once you log back in again. 

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:21 am

The return key reopened the posting window for me, but alas, it was vacant. Glad you had better luck.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:59 am

Bummer, man. My OS is almost 20 years old - maybe that helps...