Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

There is a Planet Out There Where it Rains Glass

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Re: There is a Planet Out There Where it Rains Glass

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:34 am

'And it will probably deter me from posting anything else that might seem out of ordinary.'

That would be a shame.
Experiment, just experiment better the next time :lol:

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Colm Roe wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:34 am
'And it will probably deter me from posting anything else that might seem out of ordinary.'

That would be a shame.
Experiment, just experiment better the next time :lol:

Well, I thought I was. That's the hell of it.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Archaic_Torso wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 am
Tim J Brennan wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
if anything, recent conversations have deterred me from posting my third "she said/he said" attempt. I won't die or anything but to me it's kind of a wimpish shame. And it will probably deter me from posting anything else that might seem out of ordinary. 
My unasked-for opinion - don't treat this forum like it's your personal portfolio. Post the good and the bad and let it all hang out (yes I'm new to ths forum but I've frequented many like it). And certainly don't withdraw because you are sensitive to people's opinions.

I too liked this poem a lot and have read it several times. This is different to the style I write and that's why I like it. I feel that you are allowing the atmosphere of the poem to lead your pen/fingers and I find that impossible to do. Everything I write has a point and the language has to serve the point. I can always tell the poems that don't do that from the poems that do. They can both work with the write person at the helm.

...please don't lecture. Total turn off.

Glad you liked the poem. And thanks for the reading(s). I would hope it is a different style. Everyone's is.

indar

Post by indar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Since I am one of the members that critiqued your experimental poems negatively I feel I must chime in here. I went through absolutely withering critiques of my work in art school and later Donald Jackson scribe to the crown office of the queen tore my work apart. When I joined MWC in 2009 there were a couple of well established writers (John Yamrus and eric whose last name I can't remember) who were brutal with my posts. In every case I appreciated the honesty and felt my work must have been worth their effort. Insipid writers rarely invite thoughtful criticism. 

You experimented, I offered my opinion on how effective it was to me--take it or leave it. Armed with other's input, I vowed to keep going. Why would you stop posting experiments because a couple of yours didn't work for a couple of us?

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:54 pm

indar wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:41 pm
Since I am one of the members that critiqued your experimental poems negatively I feel I must chime in here. I went through absolutely withering critiques of my work in art school and later Donald Jackson scribe to the crown office of the queen tore my work apart. When I joined MWC in 2009 there were a couple of well established writers (John Yamrus and eric whose last name I can't remember) who were brutal with my posts. In every case I appreciated the honesty and felt my work must have been worth their effort. Insipid writers rarely invite thoughtful criticism. 

You experimented, I offered my opinion on how effective it was to me--take it or leave it. Armed with other's input, I vowed to keep going. Why would you stop posting experiments because a couple of yours didn't work for a couple of us?

B/c the third one I was going to post is in the same style and somewhat the same "content." Now that the well has been poisoned, what good would it do me?

Thanks for your opinion. I got it. What I heard was "...write something better or get off the pot" (paraphrasing).

indar

Post by indar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for your opinion. I got it. What I heard was "...write something better or get off the pot" (paraphrasing)

You heard wrong

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:12 pm

indar wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:04 pm
Thanks for your opinion. I got it. What I heard was "...write something better or get off the pot" (paraphrasing)

You heard wrong

I see no value to my psyche in posting another like style poem that I know will fail here. I'm ready to move on from poems with that type of "content" and formatting.

What I heard was that I was more interested in formatting gymnastics than writing something of substance. I'm not even sure what an "experimental" poem even is so I wish folks would stop calling them that. Heck, every poem is an experiment in something.
Last edited by Tim J Brennan on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:29 pm

"...don't treat this forum like it's your personal portfolio"

Call it whatever you want.