Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

That Celestial Wink

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Dave

Re: That Celestial Wink

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 am

No idea either about the style guides views onthose matters or if Americans are the worst, just the same, ok, or better. Other countries other customs. Trying to find a way through the jungle so I can teach and advise my students sensibly. Now I can let them put those apostrophes in, even though I could not find any explanation for it. A small matter in the large entertainment known as life.

indar

Post by indar » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 am

The hell w/content...let's talk about split fricking infinitives.

REALLY??? Have you ever read my comments for their content? I usually try to review with content at the forefront of what I say. It was the content of AT's comment re issues in writing, not his declaration re Yanks, to which I was responding and not the side issue of AT's view of Yankee colloquialism. I believe seizing on side issues to further an argument is a form of special pleading. I would like to hear from someone here if I am correct---is that an example of special pleading? I'm here to learn, not prove myself right. There has been little attention to being helpful to one another here lately.  I'm getting drawn into something I deplore: I've had my say. I hope we can get back to discussing poetry: both the use of the English language and the content of the poem---the effectiveness of the writing and the reactions of the readers. 

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:19 am

indar wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 am
The hell w/content...let's talk about split fricking infinitives.

REALLY??? Have you ever read my comments for their content? I usually try to review with content at the forefront of what I say. It was the content of AT's comment re issues in writing, not his declaration re Yanks, to which I was responding and not the side issue of AT's view of Yankee colloquialism. I believe seizing on side issues to further an argument is a form of special pleading. I would like to hear from someone here if I am correct---is that an example of special pleading? I'm here to learn, not prove myself right. There has been little attention to being helpful to one another here lately.  I'm getting drawn into something I deplore: I've had my say. I hope we can get back to discussing poetry: both the use of the English language and the content of the poem---the effectiveness of the writing and the reactions of the readers. 

...not directed at you, Indar. It was directed at AT's comment. He has not been a fan of mine since my first critique of his first poem. Be happy to talk poems instead of crap.

I'm all for positive critiques. Bashing American writing trends not my favorite topic. I thought this was supposed to be about the poems? Not marriage trends, not apostrophe usage on decades, and certainly not split fricking infinitives.

I'm ready to talk poetry and how to improve things. But using my poem to expound about the woes of American writing trends is a waste of my time.

That was my point.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:31 am

Actually , maybe it was my fault AT got distracted. Read his first set of comments on this poem. He commented on content, style, wording and was constructive and positive. Me i will indeed stop commenting on anything else including other people's asides about marriage experience. Peace to all and happy writing