Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Dick & Jane Discuss Nostalgia the Day After Spot Dies.

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tim J Brennan

Re: Dick & Jane Discuss Nostalgia the Day After Spot Dies.

Post by Tim J Brennan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.21 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

Not as unimaginable as you think today. Not as jarring either. I once wrote a letter to Obama encouraging him to quit (as I was quitting at the same time). Received a signed response ;)

Also, you must be young(er). Some of the things (drinking, becoming mindless and/or drugs, being mindless) I thought were fun at the time, were pretty stupid.

Not sure about "global" but trying to relate to anyone who reads, so maybe. If you're global, cool beans.

lshmael

Post by lshmael » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Haha I guess I was wrong about the smoking. But you know, it can be dangerous for you to give away state secrets.

indar

Post by indar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 am

I often read a poem with, not just my reaction in mind, but with that of the general readership---whoever that might be. Those of us who have lived through the era this poem refers to will react differently than those who have only "heard about" such things. :)  I reflect on what I do now for fun, what millennials do for fun, what all those in between do for fun, what my parents did for fun. This poem might seem like a romp through some old memories but like many things nostalgic, for me it causes sadness. BTW Obama tried to quit, did he?

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:41 am

indar wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 am
I often read a poem with, not just my reaction in mind, but with that of the general readership---whoever that might be. Those of us who have lived through the era this poem refers to will react differently than those who have only "heard about" such things. :)  I reflect on what I do now for fun, what millennials do for fun, what all those in between do for fun, what my parents did for fun. This poem might seem like a romp through some old memories but like many things nostalgic, for me it causes sadness. BTW Obama tried to quit, did he?

I find it impossible to try and read a poem through someone else's eyes. Do agree about nostalgia and fun being different for everyone. Hell, I I used to think Bugs Bunny was the coolest.

I quit. I know Obama tried to quit (read my previous post). Haven't talked to him lately to find out if he was successful. Ever since Trump showed up, Obama has no time for me anymore.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Very much enjoying the poem, Tim. I come back frequently.

I like the use of the stats - bird per, cats per, etc. It provides an interesting and warm lining to the narrative.

I like the poem's windup as well, but would perhaps like it more if the drama were toned down just a tad. Like, for example:

What did we do for fun back then? No one remembers,
but I think we laughed more.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

T

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Tracy Mitchell wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:35 pm
Very much enjoying the poem, Tim. I come back frequently.

I like the use of the stats - bird per, cats per, etc. It provides an interesting and warm lining to the narrative.

I like the poem's windup as well, but would perhaps like it more if the drama were toned down just a tad. Like, for example:

What did we do for fun back then? No one remembers,
but I think we laughed more.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

T

Appreciate your thoughts, Tracy. But with the dog already dead, and it's only been one day, not sure I can afford to "tone it down" much more.  Inclined to stay pat on this one.