In your arms is the quiet ending: 
no grand resolution, only tomorrow:
pay the bills; do yard work;
wash dishes together;
lie hand in hand in the dark.

Colm Roe

Re: I Used to Love Flash Gordon

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:52 pm

I was going to say it's a bit prosey...but I won't...ok, I did...but it reads like a poem too.
I'm not quite old enough to have seen him in the cinema, but watched him on TV when I was a child.
For me 'You are my hero' snags; I'd prefer something more subtle like 'You are the one:'
Apart from that I absolutely love it, it's a gorgeous poem.   

lshmael

Post by lshmael » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:01 am

I think this is a nice poem. But for me it lacks imagination. I guess that's part and parcel of the everyday life kind of theme in it. But I think to really convey emotion the writer has to magnify and exaggerate and make up things. Even if such a deep love manifests itself in things like washing dishes together, perhaps there are more engaging ways of communicating such a relationship. Romeo and juliet didn't do any housework together.

indar

Post by indar » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks Colm,

BTW I'm glad to see you back--I worry over your unexplained absences. So---about the prosiness--refer to a poem I posted here a while ago: "I'd Like to Ask You a Question". There is a discussion re: prosey poems that seems to have garnered some interest---either that of the odometer spun out of control or something---there's well over 800 "reads" (where did they all come from???) Thank you for your feedback on this one---I've been messing with it for quite a long time and really want to get it right eventually---I mean---I really did love Flash Gordon aka Buster Crabb when I was a little girl. :roll: :roll: :roll:

indar

Post by indar » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am

Even if such a deep love manifests itself in things like washing dishes together, perhaps there are more engaging ways of communicating such a relationship. Romeo and juliet didn't do any housework together. ;)

Oh Ishmael, Honey---Romeo and Juliet were a couple of crazy kids---I went through that stage 50 years ago. Please refer to the title of this poem--"I used to love Flash Gordon". I'm older and wiser now when true love survives youthful passion and evolves into a deeper commitment and the ability to find meaning in shared everyday tasks that are what real life is about.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my poem.

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:09 pm

In your arms is the quiet ending: 
pay the bills, do yard work,
wash dishes together -
lie hand in hand in the dark.
Like the pay off at the end of the mundanity.

The list structure of colon/semi-colon felt functional/mechanical.

catchy title

best

phil

indar

Post by indar » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for the read and comments Phil. Would you simply use commas to list?

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:41 pm

indar wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am

Oh Ishmael, Honey---Romeo and Juliet were a couple of crazy kids---I went through that stage 50 years ago. Please refer to the title of this poem--"I used to love Flash Gordon". I'm older and wiser now when true love survives youthful passion and evolves into a deeper commitment and the ability to find meaning in shared everyday tasks that are what real life is about. 
:)  ;) :)  Our dishwasher is usually full of my wife's favourite teacups...there are lots of other cups in the cupboard but she'll hand wash her faves instead. I was on holidays last week while she was working (this rarely happens) and washed a few to make her happy...it did. Not quite the same as your 'shared' intention; but it's something she'd do for me if I'd only drink from particular cups. While these things apparently mean nothing they indicate so much. For older couples the Devil is always found in these minute details  :)  

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:15 pm

R & J only knew each other for what, three days?   :lol:

My sister has never owned a dishwasher. Claims the time she and hubby spend together washing/drying dishes is one of the pillars of their marriage. I can't argue w/her...and they always have clean dishes. 

Surprised about the attachment to Flash in the title...he was pretty washed up by the 1950's...

I could do w/o the commentary of S's 2 & 3...but strictly a personal choice. 

Fun poem...