Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Drink Up, Slam the Glass

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Drink Up, Slam the Glass

Post by indar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Drink Up, Slam the Glass: 2/21/2019

Rain fell all night and hail this morning.
The edge of land turns west into the wash of surf,
the surge of clouds, flight of seabirds. 

Bearing answered prayers from tropic islands,
a miracle rides in.

Maybe this time it's for good, a willed belief.
Reservoirs are filled, perhaps the river may
yet be saved, no need for deeper wells
tapping ever further into waters
from the world's beginnings.

Light arcs like rainbows into a too-red sunset
refracted through the beat-back ever flowing
from the Eastern Seaboard.

Tracy Mitchell

Re: Drink Up, Slam the Glass

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 pm

I love the tone of this, the hope/promise of lifesaving rains. Maybe it won't be worse.

S.2 L.2 -- rides > blows/drifts/floats? Just asking.

Incredible opening stanza. :)

Cheers.

T

indar

Post by indar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for the read Tracy,

The most beautiful red sunsets are often due to junk in the air. I meant to write about the false hope that comes with rain in California. The denial of global warming made possible by colder-than-average temperatures. Confusion between weather and climate. "Willed belief"=denial. The "beat-back" =roll backs of restrictions on emissions. So maybe the hopeful tone belies my intention. I tried to write on the lighter side despite the subject.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:30 pm

I didn't get the red sunset - I went with Red sunset at night, sailors's delight". :roll:

I see what you are doing now with this. I got the anxiety at first read, but didn't associate right.

Good stuff :)

T

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:10 am

This is really good and vitally topical. The first stanza is indeed excellent

indar

Post by indar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks Dave, for the read and positive comments.  Seems there are certain themes I can't get my mind off even when I sit down to try to write something entirely different.

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:47 pm

I didn't understand 'beat-back etc.' but probably should have with 'Eastern Seaboard' 
'tapping ever further into waters
from the world's beginnings', I saw the desperation here; wonderful lines.
It's all so sad.
Great poem though.
Me and my other half finished our last piece of the Wild Atlantic Way (i.e. Galway to Kerry) recently. We stayed in one of Ireland's nicest hotels...Dromoland Castle. Just three nights...and I had to peel Sally's fingers off when checking out!
We accidentally (it really was by accident) stopped for lunch in Trump's Doonbeg Hotel & Golf place. So, we inadvertently contributed to your 'situation'...I'm so sorry. And it'll never happen again...I only hope he doesn't happen again!    

indar

Post by indar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes Colm, see to it that it never happens again. :( I am terrified of accidentally supporting him or his minions. I wonder how much of what is going on just now makes it over the Atlantic. It came up in Cohen's testimony 2 days ago that Trump had him (Cohen ) find a straw bidder to run up the bidding on a portrait of Trump so it would be the highest priced item at auction. Trump then tweeted his "surprise" at what it had sold for. Then he used money from his so-called charitable organization to reimburse the straw bidder for the portrait which now hangs in one of his club houses. Sad. Actually it would be sad if it wasn't so scary. 

Thanks for the read and comments. :D

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:30 pm

We hear everything over here.
A few of our recent Taoisigh (Taoiseach singular...Irish for leader or Prime Minister) were embroiled in continual and protracted financial controversies. After a while I realised they were happy with each new revelation because it distracted us from the multitude of old (and often more serious) scandals. The BIG cesspool is temporarily forgotten  :roll:    

lshmael

Post by lshmael » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:29 am

A nice poem about a very pressing problem.

If you want critique then " Light arcs like rainbows into a too-red sunset " is a difficult picture for my brain.

I find it very difficult to write about this kind of thing, so to see it done well always leaves me impressed.