Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Volta

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
HLemma

Volta

Post by HLemma » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 am

The world has long been ending by degree;

we’ve marched around the spun or broken fixtures,
savoring decorum that remained - until today.

This fallen planet hasn’t opened wider
to imbibe its dead,

seven wrathful angels haven't yet appeared
to serve up blood and lesions,

the clamoring of Jannes and Jambres isn’t louder.
No - at the convenience store

the patrons ceased to hold the door for one another.

indar

Re: Volta

Post by indar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I googled "volta" and found your title could fit in several ways. One definition refers to the turn of thought in a poem also and more specifically in a sonnet, or a turn or an electrical housing of some sort or a program by Circue Du Soleil. Guess the first and last work best. Yes, it is the little niceties of manner in community breaking down that will end the world and not the realization of apocalyptic visions. Love this poem. 

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 pm

'Yes, it is the little niceties of manner in community breaking down that will end the world and not the realization of apocalyptic visions. Love this poem.' indar.

I think we've had this conversation before about the importance of manners. The Devil IS in the detail.
I too enjoyed this poem...in a one off kinda way.   

HLemma

Post by HLemma » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 am

Thank you Colm and Indar.

Indar, you are spot on about the title. I meant a shift, a sea change. 

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 pm

I love the way the opening line brings the power -- somber, depressing and perfectly metered. I needed to google some instant research to refresh my recall, but became more confused. The wrathful angels I take to be those who opposed Jannes and Jambres, who haven't yet [in the poem] launched their final assault. But the loss of manners at the the convenience store foretells the inevitable? Sorry.

T

HLemma

Post by HLemma » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Tracy Mitchell wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 pm
I love the way the opening line brings the power -- somber, depressing and perfectly metered. I needed to google some instant research to refresh my recall, but became more confused. The wrathful angels I take to be those who opposed Jannes and Jambres, who haven't yet [in the poem] launched their final assault. But the loss of manners at the the convenience store foretells the inevitable? Sorry.

T

Tracy, thanks for your reply.

The seven angels are from Revelation 16. They pour out bowls of wrath upon the earth.

In the poem, my apocalypse is quieter and more subtle.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 am

I like the poem and your comment about a subtle apocalypse is amusing. The holding the door thing is a good metaphor but as a factual picture of world history and where we are heading it is a cliche and weak. The ancient Greeks were saying this. Their civilization ended i know but the reasons just may have gone deeper😁

HLemma

Post by HLemma » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 am

Dave wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 am
I like the poem and your comment about a subtle apocalypse is amusing. The holding the door thing is a good metaphor but as a factual picture of world history and where we are heading it is a cliche and weak. The ancient Greeks were saying this. Their civilization ended i know but the reasons just may have gone deeper😁

Thanks for your thoughts, Dave.