Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Night Dialogue

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
binx

Night Dialogue

Post by binx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 am

During night-hours,
the sleeping woman
whispers to herself 
as if her own words
were a conversation
with darkness itself— 
she smudges, wishes,
kisses the language
on a tissue of air. 

Through the bedroom
window, a layer of new
snow veils the field.

by George

Tom

Re: Night Dialogue

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am

Hi Binx,

Welcome to The Tangled Branch.

by George. -- I wasn't sure if you are George and noting your authorship, or if that might be the last line of the poem itself. No matter for now. I very much like the poem and the way it unfolds.

If you would be so kind, you can click this link -- Introduce Yourself Here -- and post an introduction to let the writers learn a bit about you.

The "Start Here" board gives you plenty of information about the site, what is expected, and how to get around. As you will discover, this is a give-and-take critique board and you can expect feedback to your poems which will likely increase the more you interact with other folks' poems as well.

Again, welcome. :)

T

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm

During night-hours,
the sleeping woman
whispers to herself 
as if her own words
were a conversation
with darkness itself
I was reading a novel today where a character, Ivan Karamazov, has a conversation with the 'devil', though he comes to realise the devil is a projection of him. Is this the darkness in the poem?

Welcome to TB by the way.

binx

Post by binx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 am
Hi Binx,

Welcome to The Tangled Branch.

by George. -- I wasn't sure if you are George and noting your authorship, or if that might be the last line of the poem itself. No matter for now. I very much like the poem and the way it unfolds.

If you would be so kind, you can click this link -- Introduce Yourself Here -- and post an introduction to let the writers learn a bit about you.

The "Start Here" board gives you plenty of information about the site, what is expected, and how to get around. As you will discover, this is a give-and-take critique board and you can expect feedback to your poems which will likely increase the more you interact with other folks' poems as well.

Again, welcome. :)

T

George is my name, Tom.  Not Binx (long story).  Thank you.

binx

Post by binx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Matty11 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm
During night-hours,
the sleeping woman
whispers to herself 
as if her own words
were a conversation
with darkness itself
I was reading a novel today where a character, Ivan Karamazov, has a conversation with the 'devil', though he comes to realise the devil is a projection of him. Is this the darkness in the poem?

Welcome to TB by the way.  

The Brothers Karamazov a fine book, Matty11.  No devil in my poem. Call me George.    

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Welcome George
Very nice poem. Good flow and atmosphere

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:42 pm

George it is, then.

Cheers.

T

Ike

Post by Ike » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 am

Welcome, George. This reads very well. Going through it I felt as though it could be a piece I was reading in a literature class trying to deconstruct. I'm not sure if it would actually be better but I can't help but think an intro stanza similar to the last would help here. Sort of like a "there must be some way out of here said the joker to the thief... two riders were approaching the wind began to howl" I can almost hear the harsh harmonica while reading yours. just my 2 cents

ike
Last edited by Ike on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

binx

Post by binx » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 am

Dave wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 pm
Welcome George
Very nice poem. Good flow and atmosphere

Thank you, Dave.

by George

binx

Post by binx » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:20 am

Ike wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 am
Welcome, George. This reads very well. Going through it I felt as though it could be a piece I was reading in a literature class trying to deconstruct. I'm not sure if it would actually be better but I can't help but think an intro stanza similar to the last would help here. Sort of like a "there must be some way out of here said the joker to the thief... two riders were approaching the wind began to howl" I can almost hear the harsh harmonica while reading yours. just my 2 cents

ike

Thank you, Ike.  Big change, adding another stanza.

I also like a good harmonica.

by George