Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

A Recurring Thought of the Spirit Mother

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Re: A Recurring Thought of the Spirit Mother

Post by Colm Roe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 pm

A simple thing like just pointing the audience to the central theme is enough...unless you have more time to give clearer explanations about (possible) opaque sections. 
From my little experience I know that audiences want to appreciate everything, but don't have to understand everything. Once they (we) have some footing they can relax and enjoy it, instead of spending time internally considering a line you spoke two stanzas ago trying to understand what it meant...and missing most of what you're trying to communicate. 
Listening to your recital (with the heads up) was a new way for me to enjoy your poetry. I was able to really enjoy the aesthetics without thinking of punctuation/ings/repeats and all the critique shit. I was free to immerse myself.
A liberating experience. 
And a fabber (sic) poem for it.   

indar

Post by indar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 am

Well more than anything its just plain fun seeing one of our own reading poetry. On the few occasions I've read for a group I was astounded by how nervous it made me. Good on you Tracy and anyone who takes the risk.

I didn't detect a Minnesota accent.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks Colm. You are right about the audience wanting to stay in the moment, and the reader's obligation to help them do so. And yes, the spoken poem is so different! The breaths and pauses are so much richer than punctuation, as you say.

Indar- it must be a good group at the Bell Tower - I am not particularly nervous. Accent? I am one of the very few people I know who have no accent at all. :)

We should find a good platform for us to record and post our poems. We tried SoundCloud when we were on another site and that worked decently until SoundCloud changed their program.

Anyone have ideas?

Lecram06

Post by Lecram06 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Tracy,

The reality of nature and the metaphors abound. You took me on a walk into the healing wilderness. Marcel

lisaeagle65

Post by lisaeagle65 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:15 pm

That's great. It is a warm feeling. love the end line.
lisa

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks Lisa. I read this one at Open Mic a few weeks ago.

T