Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Sapper

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Matty11

Re: Sapper

Post by Matty11 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am

Thank you Gyppo, Indar, Dave and Tracy. Apologies for my delayed response. I've been off grid, doing some walking, though it has allowed the poem to do the talking! :)  Gyppo has summed up much of my intention and certainly 'lad'  is used in my part of the world. As an aside I recently read this article on PTSD in relation to a British copper:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... tudy-finds

Of course, there are no simple solutions, especially at these levels of stress, but I do believe connecting to nature - including gardening - can help. That is where the poem started, though not where it ended!

Dave, some thoughts on your thoughts (all very helpful):
I would consider dropping 'idle' as it distracts a little - is it used factually as in ahving nothing to do? Or, is it meant as a counterpoint to the  industriousness of the N?

It was used as a 'counterpoint' and for the sonics (l).

Secondly, why 'that afternoon' - would the line lose anything without the word 'that'. It would make the experience specific and universal without it.

I wanted some delay between the trigger for and the action. Also the mind's time frames past/present and where his mind lives.

Thirdly, I suppose he dug up the field  and that the field contained the poppies. As is sounds like the field= a pride of poppies. A very minor point, granted.

Not sure what the point is there Dave.

'bothered him not' is weirdly archaic. I can't quite figure why you chose to put it like that.

To reflect the vernacular syntax.
best

Phil