Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Kid Crow Poe

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Kid Crow Poe

Post by indar » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 pm

There must be a pool of water
so deep, so pure
so crowded at its edges
by innocent, fresh, breathy ferns,
flutter-leafed bushes.
glittering tree shade and sun
arced over by a dazzling rainbow,
where timid deer and rabbits come
and unicorns--oh, sorry--
my mind was wandering--

Impeach, impeach--

I will rise early tomorrow,
braid my hair,
tie on my going-to-market apron,
my sun bonnet and be off
to fill my straw basket with
deep yellow, rosy-cheeked peaches,
peaches home-grown
that taste as if infused
with wild clover honey,
dripping with their own juice.

poet-e

Re: Kid Crow Poe

Post by poet-e » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Love this, esp the "oh sorry-- / my mind was wandering-- // Impeach, impeach--" interlude and how it goes back to the other thoughts!

Stander

Post by Stander » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:39 am

Wonderfully intriguing! I really like the poem, Indar.

indar

Post by indar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:43 am

Thank you both, poet-e and Stander. Since I wrote this I notice with great amusement that many reporters and politicians goof up on this Latin tongue-twister.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:28 pm

The images you conjure in this poem are so deep, so pure. . . dripping in their own juice.  I think WCW would be wetting his pants.   :D

This writing is simple and elegant.  A pleasure to reread and reread.  

T

indar

Post by indar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks Tracy,

Might be a little modifier-ridden but my thoughts are loaded with modifiers of all kinds lately, dazzling rainbows to you in these times

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:54 am

Hi Indar, 

A large part of the appeal of this poem is the infectious mindset of your N, which is aided by the full flush of the text, adjectives and all.

For what it's worth, I am less draconian about modifiers these days.  I still think that adjectives which labor to make meaningless distinctions are the lard in a poem's arteries.  A truck load of dark, foul, flattened, fetid, slimy, sodden, funky,  rancid, cherries dumped by the back fence will come to stink. 

But we are always blessed with one cherry posted on the tip of a spoon fronting the Basilica of Saint Mary beneath a churning white and blue Minnesota sky.  :)

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm

I've come late to this one, Indar.

I love the rich imagery.  I too have dreamed of this pool, and come close to seeing it a few times in quiet places.  The first time I dreamed of it, over sixty years since, there was also a barefooted girl in a white dress, leading a unicorn on a rein made from dewdrop sparkled spiderweb.  That dream has never repeated itself.

But your poem reminded me.  For this I thank you.

Gyppo
Last edited by Gyppo on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:50 am

--oh, sorry--
my mind was wandering--

Impeach, impeach--
I didn't really want the intrusion of that 'reality' because I enjoyed the other world so much instead (and you have the 'bonnet' page joy without that ugly pivot anyway! 😁 )
flutter-leafed bushes.
glittering tree shade and sun
On a more mundane note, you have a typo issue on the punctuation/capitalisation.

A 'paradise' poem for sharing:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... m-of-month

best

Phil

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Also late to this party  :oops:
Wonderful poem Linda, and I wasn't offended by the adjectives...well I would say that, as I'm more than occasionally accused of abusing their use  :lol:
I'm convinced that politicians, once a scandal is revealed, are more than happy for other misdemeanours to occasionally surface...especially if they're less damaging ones. Like donor fatigue, we become tired of it all, forget the big/last one, and
concentrate on the recent/minor one! And when another big one appears they actually leak a perfectly timed less severe scandal.
We've had a few doozies here in Ireland; criminal leaders who were never convicted.
An Irish friend of mine (who's been living in Washington DC for decades) took umbrage when I told him he didn't really 
live in a democratic country. I argued that only one of two political parties could win...and that was as close to a dictatorship as you can get. I thought I was just winding him up, but realised after that I wasn't!
The system requires an immediate update. One party is a good place to start; all their energies focused on issues...not how they can get the upper hand on the other party. 

But that'll never happen. I'll wake tomorrow, braid my hair....