Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Enough

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Re: Enough

Post by indar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:16 am

The impulse to dress up and stride into the hospital/clinic in red blazer, heels and hair done up to face the moment of coming to grips with whatever draconian measure is required makes me want to cheer---=and then she slams the glass! An example of doing what we must on our own terms.

ajduclos

Post by ajduclos » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:16 pm

100% agree, Linda - all of that is what makes this such a great write.  And I'm fine with "dosage device."

And the act of slamming, the physicality, the force, the exclamation point............ there, did it !!!!!!!

Nice write, Tracy.

Aj   

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:33 pm

Thanks now I see the intention. Makes things clearer for my simple brain.

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:47 am

Coming to this late because I've been incommunicado for a while.  (A few small but irritating glitches when switching to Windows 10.)

Oddly enough I took away a different impression from this at first reading.  I pictured a woman going to an 'exit' clinic in Switzerland to 'take the poisoned chalice' because her life, either though physical pain or otherwise, was simply unbearable.

I admired her spirit, with blazer etc, determined to go out in style on her own terms.  I was then horrified that they made her dress in hospital clothes, but was reassured, by the defiant slam of the glass, that she'd transcended this petty 'humbling'.

Funny how the same poem can mean different things to different people ;-)  But isn't this a major part of the magic of words?

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:00 am

Gyppo -- I had never heard of exit clinics. What a concept.  I can see how this poem would call that to mind. Thanks for your comments.

Dave -- Thanks for engaging with this.  Your points are valid and your comments appreciated.  Curiously, the poem grew from an article I read about a doctor who decided to treat a vocal impairment with vodka.  She used the phrase "dosage device" with respect to a shotglass -- so that's where I stole the phrase and the concept.

Indar, AJ -- thanks for your read and comments.

Cheers.

T

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Excellent T. Can feel the bravery and hear the 'slam'. The sound is in the act. There is a defining humanity - and I would say respect - that the necessary, but utilitarian clothing cannot take away.

best

Phil