Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

When we first met (Toby) // When Toby and I First Met

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
poet-e

When we first met (Toby) // When Toby and I First Met

Post by poet-e » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:00 pm

My parents got you because I kept crying myself to sleep after Angel’s deep sleep.  They drove you from Kansas to my California apartment, having only seen you on a blurry video camera attachment—a squirmy skinny long white blob on mom or dad’s neck.

Mom put you on my lap and you kiss me for the first time, the longest kiss I’ve ever received but not the longest we would ever have—your white curly fur smelling of mom’s perfume after a long road trip to me.  Hannah wouldn’t let you kiss her— protesting that she didn’t want another dog after Angel’s death.

You looked so small, fully grown, compared to our Angel and Happy.  You came with a baby crib full of toys, but preferred to knaw on our toes instead.   You didn’t like your dog food or even my human food, preferring treats and bugs outside instead.  You weren’t potty trained, preferring to do your business inside, making me take you out every 3 hours.

You woke me up in the middle of the night, coming from Hannah’s bed, to help you on my bed and to kiss me.

Although you figured out how to use a step to get on my bed to wake me in the middle of the night with kisses and how to hold it in until you’re outside, you still hold out for treats, and don’t tell us when you need to go out.  And you still don’t kiss Hannah.

ajduclos

Re: When we first met (Toby) // When Toby and I First Met

Post by ajduclos » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi poet-e.

I like this, a warm tale in prose-poetry format.  Really sweet, paints a great scene... especially those kisses !!!!

Aj

Tracy Mitchell

Re: When we first met (Toby) // When Toby and I First Met

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:26 am

Poet-e,

There is an upcoming Poetry Contest for which this poem might be a good fit. Here is the link:

Open Poetry Contest -- Poetry Society of Colorado

Let me know if you have questions.

Cheers.

T