Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

(you) Believe

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tim J Brennan

(you) Believe

Post by Tim J Brennan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:42 pm

It’s about
how you see yourself,
real man
no tears, sex
still, less often—

perpendicular, the X
of the math problem, one
you never figured
out

(60+ + b squared = x cubed + tired)

and as for diagraming,
all those imperatives—

(you) made mistakes,
long ago—

half-way
to prunes, Alzheimer’s a thought
out-of-your-hands
Last edited by Tim J Brennan on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

poet-e

Re: (you) Believe in Fate

Post by poet-e » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Love how N starts as a 'macho guy,' but ends having less control.

Unsure if Alzheimer is a reality or just a possibility/a concern?

I'm not a math geek... wonder if there are mathematical meanings/symbolism.

With the mistakes made, maybe the mathematical equations can tie in--problems get harder or just can no longer solve.

Tim J Brennan

Re: (you) Believe in Fate

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:13 am

poet-e wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Love how N starts as a 'macho guy,' but ends having less control.

Unsure if Alzheimer is a reality or just a possibility/a concern?

I'm not a math geek... wonder if there are mathematical meanings/symbolism.

With the mistakes made, maybe the mathematical equations can tie in--problems get harder or just can no longer solve.

Have decided "fate" is the wrong word, poet-e, so I edited it out the title. Alzheimer's ALWAYS a concern. And a possibility.

Definitely math imagery present in the poem.

Thanks for the comments. The read. Appreciate it.

poet-e

Re: (you) Believe

Post by poet-e » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:59 am

Anytime.

indar

Post by indar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 am

This is a compelling poem Tim, I've read it many times. I can't quite settle on what the main thrust is but I see more than one theme---the mystery of being human (unsolved equation) and parallel to that the demand to be true to some preordained model of how one should be human--and in the case of the N a male human---there are many dictates to many subgroups of humans, male and female among them. And beyond the main themes are the issues of ageing and increased awareness of mortality, falling under the judgement of others (perceived or real) and lastly regret. Big poem.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 am

indar wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 am
This is a compelling poem Tim, I've read it many times. I can't quite settle on what the main thrust is but I see more than one theme---the mystery of being human (unsolved equation) and parallel to that the demand to be true to some preordained model of how one should be human--and in the case of the N a male human---there are many dictates to many subgroups of humans, male and female among them. And beyond the main themes are the issues of ageing and increased awareness of mortality, falling under the judgement of others (perceived or real) and lastly regret. Big poem.

Any interpretation is welcome, indar. Thank you for yours and am glad you see these things. I'll take compelling & big & awareness & regret, etc. any time.