Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Tools

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Matty11

Tools

Post by Matty11 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 am

Last edited by Matty11 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

indar

Re: Tools

Post by indar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:29 am

Hi Phil,

I've read this several times. To my read this is about the skill and passion of a true craftsperson:
He pins the wood as if it were untamed,a greening thirst rooted in earth.

I cut down a small white birch tree to use as a display in a gift shop I once owned. It was in an area scheduled to be cut back by the state department anyway. The following spring, there in my shop, its trunk held in a dry container it budded out. I felt the need to aplologize to it---but I digress. The point in your poem, I think, is how the subject is aware of the nature of his materials as a part of his commitment to his craft. The son represents changing attitudes toward craftsmanship and poor table manners represents his greed. What is bara brith? Perhaps some labor intensive baked good?

I first tried to read this as a charecter study but didn't get much in that direction. I believe its a depiction of changing societal values for which I mourn greatly.

indar

Post by indar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:31 am

tried to edit misspelled "character" but this forum can be very uncooperative

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Lovely poem Phil.
Like Linda I think this is a wonderful line He pins the wood as if it were untamed,
Old tradespeople (like me) were brought up with manual tools, prized possessions that lasted for generations; I still use the hammer (and some other tools) I started my apprenticeship with 42 years ago. They become like extra limbs, and when they're eventually lost or wear out there's a real sense of grief. We mightn't get the job done as quick...but there's a good chance you'll get something a bit more special, and it will probably last longer.
And that cake looks a lot like our barmbrack :)

poet-e

Post by poet-e » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am

Very nice read.  Love old vs new tension.

Had to look up bara brith.  Maybe "bara brith bread"?  Us, daft Americans!

Confused who "me" is.  Father is he/his, so IDK who N is... an outsider/friend?
4 characters?:  Father, son, "me," and my wife.

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am

Thanks Indar, Colm and poet-e. Pleased you enjoyed.

I cut down a small white birch tree to use as a display in a gift shop I once owned. It was in an area scheduled to be cut back by the state department anyway. The following spring, there in my shop, its trunk held in a dry container it budded out.

Nature has to be 'adaptable' with us in the 'gift shop!'

I still use the hammer (and some other tools) I started my apprenticeship with 42 years ago. They become like extra limbs,

This guy had been fencing for only thirty-five years :)

4 characters?: Father, son, "me," and my wife.

Yes, a bit of a crowd for my wee poem :)

For those that like some cake...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bara_brith_33441

all the best

Phil