Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Advanced

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Advanced

Post by indar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:19 am

I live in America
where the earth rotates 
from East to West,
to think otherwise
admits
to falling blindly back
to the cold, cruel waters
of the Atlantic,
to the smoke and steam
churning the industrial revolution:
cogs and gears
going to rust. 
America faces Westward,
turns every day toward the sun,
believes it is gaining ground.

Colm Roe

Re: Advanced

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Like this Linda.
Strangely we're all heading West :)
At least (here) Russia (and other places) see me gaining ground, younger, and glorious under the setting Sun :)

poet-e

Post by poet-e » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Unsure if poem's saying America is the center or criticizing it?

indar

Post by indar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks Colm,

So you, where you are, agree that we all travel westward? It really does feel that way to me, I have to remind myself that in order for the sun to go west the planet has to be turning to the east. But that's not what this poem is about. Let me remind you that in our quest to become every day younger and more glorious I'm ahead of you by at least a third of the globe.

indar

Post by indar » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Poet-e, you have gotten to the heart of the poem--mixed emotions. I remember youthful moments, as when I heard the song America the Beautiful being sung, I was struck by how fortunate I was to be among those born here. But growing awareness of such policies and actions as manifest destiny, Jim Crow, nation building where we had no business, Hiroshima, Viet Nam cut into my unquestioning Americanism. And now there is Trumpism. I do love the actual beautiful land but yesterday when I wrote this I was beset with all kinds of conflicting emotions. So yes, a mixture of "the American Spirit" and vast disappointment in same found its way into this written, unedited and posted poem. Thanks for the thoughtful read

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 am

indar wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:36 pm
Thanks Colm,
Let me remind you that in our quest to become every day younger and more glorious I'm ahead of you by at least a third of the globe.
:lol:

poet-e

Post by poet-e » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:13 am

indar wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:51 pm
Hi Poet-e, you have gotten to the heart of the poem--mixed emotions. I remember youthful moments, as when I heard the song America the Beautiful being sung, I was struck by how fortunate I was to be among those born here. But growing awareness of such policies and actions as manifest destiny, Jim Crow, nation building where we had no business, Hiroshima, Viet Nam cut into my unquestioning Americanism. And now there is Trumpism. I do love the actual beautiful land but yesterday when I wrote this I was beset with all kinds of conflicting emotions. So yes, a mixture of "the American Spirit" and vast disappointment in same found its way into this written, unedited and posted poem. Thanks for the thoughtful read

I agree with the sentiment.