Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

I Thought She Was A Goddess

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
ajduclos

Re: I Thought She Was A Goddess

Post by ajduclos » Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Wonderful write, difficult write, and tells lots.  I go with the thoughts that it is so incredibly sad that one could be lost in the unwinning battle to find one's worth in one's appearance and features, and not give one any value to one's heart and soul... to be so lost to the whims and fancies of the judgments of the unhappy others.  So sad....
Aj  

indar

Post by indar » Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Thank you AJ you've identified the crux of the matter.

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am

Very much enjoyed this Linda. I like to find poems that have people, the relationships between people, find that kind of poem more real. Of course, the poetry needs to be there too, which is the case here, with that evocative moth imagery and the ceiling which is both tangible and spiritual. I read a vanity, a neediness, that can't exit the 'stage', tethered to her audience. Felt the sad hollowness of all that. A ghost in life and death.

Tonight she will tear her wings to shreds,
flutter to the floor, a clot
of dead leaves after winter.

Conveyed both the desperation, the unhealthiness in such a 'heart' - great use of 'clot'.

Applause for the concluding superficiality, obsession of looking 'good'.

Of course, what filters the perspective, haunts the realisation, is the daughter's judgement.

best

Phil

indar

Post by indar » Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm

I read a vanity, a neediness, that can't exit the 'stage', tethered to her audience. Felt the sad hollowness of all that

Thank you Phil, 

My unscientific observations have led me to believe that the hardest grief comes from the loss of someone from the most complicated relationships. As you point out, it might be because the grief is for an entire lifetime of something that never was.