Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Music

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Re: Music

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Dave wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:03 am
Do you the Dunning-Kroger Effect - which suggests that a person without real expertise tends to over-estimate their abilities whilst a person with a great deal of expertise or knowledge tends towards more intellectual humility?

No, but I googled.
The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their skills

Wow Dave, that's quite personal.
I've never claimed to be an expert in poetry, I definitely do not over-estimate my abilities, and am very aware of my many deficiencies. Assuming you are suggesting this effect applies to me, all I can say is I'm very saddened and surprised. And please refrain from posting any further comments on anything I write in the future.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:43 pm

Colm, I have sent a private response to this. You assume wrongly is all I can say here.
Dave

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:35 pm

A Zimbabwean painter once said to me: " All music is one voice." Which I'm still thinking about.

I liked the poem and I think Dave did as well. The task set was a worthy one. Imagine using music to describe poetry and you see what I mean.

I don't understand your tiff but the Dunning-Kruger effect is sadly very well-represented by our government here, the African National Congress.  

Intellectual people are generally more humble because the more they find out, the less they know they know.  

indar

Post by indar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:06 pm

I just posted this elsewhere. street musicians from around the world:

[font]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=st ... &FORM=VIRE[/font]