Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
murmac

Post by murmac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 pm

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

murmac

Post by murmac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:50 pm

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

murmac

Re: Holy Synchronicity

Post by murmac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:04 pm

murmac wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 pm
indar wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 am
I've addressed this by PM with mur but I want to add a few of the comments I made to him here as well. The writers on this forum are refugees from the storms of past forums who scrambled together this "poetry only" gathering tended to by participants with nothing to sell and no other intention than improving our writing by interacting with fellow members. We've proven ourselves to be serious about our poetry. We've worked out our disagreements in agreeable ways. We've learned to accept a few of the technical shortcomings of this site and we've lasted through 3 NaPo and 2 midsummer challenges with good humor and no judgement :D

I am proud of what we have. I love this good company. I happen to think the quality of writing here has been higher than work on any other forum. 

I probably would have assumed as Mark did that when a member removes a post it follows that the entire thread becomes meaningless and should be removed. I agree with Dave that Mark did carry out this clean-up politely. I suggest that if the comments still have value to the one who posted he or she will copy them to a private stash.
What about future deletes? Am I going to get kicked out if I delete another poem?

murmac

Post by murmac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

murmac

Post by murmac » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:49 am

FFS, there is no special moderators' view of the boards. How many times do I have to say this? All the mods have is a toolbox that allows certain extra actions in terms of moderating work, that's all. If the two items were not on the board, how is it that the log shows me deleting them from the board? The log doesn't lie. If you say they were gone from your view, that is some weird anomaly but I accept that is your belief. So what? It doesn't really matter either way if they are now gone. And the waste I referred to was the waste of time incurred by clicking on an empty topic.

I'm starting to become concerned by your persistent worrying at every tiny aspect that offers a bit of leverage for argumentation. You are just digging yourself into a hole by keeping on about this.
The issue now is not the topics that were deleted but rather the possible impact your overreaction is having on the other members' willingness to participate on the forum. That is what is important.
And that impact is impossible to calculate, so one has to rely on subjective notions. Add to that your erratic history of posting and deleting your posts and a poor topic:comment ratio, a lack of common courtesy, contentiousness and putative attention-seeking behaviour and the hole just gets deeper. The more you are reactive in general about the lack of comments, the less comments you will receive - can you not see that you creating a negative feedback loop for yourself?

My suggestion is you take what you can from this without querying every ambiguous detail or inventing explanations, the gist should be clear enough. Just continue being a poet on the forum, bearing in mind the things that have been brought to your attention. The matter has been referred to the mod panel for discussion and you will be further advised in due course. Note that you have not been given a warning on your record and the idea is to find a constructive solution. The more of that you can supply yourself in the meantime, the better.  

murmac

Post by murmac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 am

Mark wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:49 am
FFS, there is no special moderators' view of the boards. How many times do I have to say this? All the mods have is a toolbox that allows certain extra actions in terms of moderating work, that's all. If the two items were not on the board, how is it that the log shows me deleting them from the board? The log doesn't lie. If you say they were gone from your view, that is some weird anomaly but I accept that is your belief. So what? It doesn't really matter either way if they are now gone. And the waste I referred to was the waste of time incurred by clicking on an empty topic.

I'm starting to become concerned by your persistent worrying at every tiny aspect that offers a bit of leverage for argumentation. You are just digging yourself into a hole by keeping on about this.
The issue now is not the topics that were deleted but rather the possible impact your overreaction is having on the other members' willingness to participate on the forum. That is what is important.
And that impact is impossible to calculate, so one has to rely on subjective notions. Add to that your erratic history of posting and deleting your posts and a poor topic:comment ratio, a lack of common courtesy, contentiousness and putative attention-seeking behaviour and the hole just gets deeper. The more you are reactive in general about the lack of comments, the less comments you will receive - can you not see that you creating a negative feedback loop for yourself?

My suggestion is you take what you can from this without querying every ambiguous detail or inventing explanations, the gist should be clear enough. Just continue being a poet on the forum, bearing in mind the things that have been brought to your attention. The matter has been referred to the mod panel for discussion and you will be further advised in due course. Note that you have not been given a warning on your record and the idea is to find a constructive solution. The more of that you can supply yourself in the meantime, the better.  
Please don’t use abbreviations of swearing. Since you are judging the hell out me, I’m forced to judge you. I think you are an intellectual snob. Snobbery seems to happen to most adults in different ways. You might even be aware of this and don’t care.

It kind of makes sense that this site fosters a kind of snobbery, thinking they are better than other sites.

What to do? I hope you change.

I know I have lots of problems. I was hoping poetry would help me deal with these things.

I don’t really want to re-read your message to help you. One day I’ll prove to you all this. I hope I’m wrong because I hate judging people. Can’t you just assume I’m a good person?

I apologize for every little thing I did wrong.

Maybe I shouldn’t have read what you just wrote. I’m actually afraid of you.

OK, I found a reason to quit or the reason I should have never joined this site. As you were criticizing me, you said “a poor topic:comment ratio” seems to be one of reasons to remove someone from this site. Is that actually a thing? I would have never joined this site if I knew that ahead of time. If that is a rule, then please delete me now.

murmac

Poetry

Post by murmac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Life is difficult.

Mark

Re: .

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:02 am

These last two posts were deleted by murmac but I have restored them to complete the narrative for when Ty and Colm return. It seems murmac has decided to reject in advance whatever compromise the site might offer him, by either deleting his posts or editing them down to a dot.
indar will confirm if asked that I had proposed a soft solution of requesting him to self-curtail his posting/deleting activities for 3 months in the hope of normalising this aspect of his membership, along with an offer of guidance and mentorship from me. I am not without empathy or compassion.
However, given this latest wholesale binge of edits and deletions which I regard as unacceptable behaviour, I have given up and permanently removed his other mutilated topics from this current page, locked this topic, and permanently banned murmac. My apologies to those who have lost their comments in the process.