Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

The Audition

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Matty11

The Audition

Post by Matty11 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Last edited by Matty11 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indar

Re: The Narcissists

Post by indar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Phil,

If I am reading this anywhere near the intended meaning there are two actors here the faded movie star and perhaps her paramour or at least a male counterpart. Neither an authentic personality but interested only in how they perceive themselves as being perceived. The applause is validation for her and the very masculine behavior of the wealthy cigar (winner) smoker he believes projects the correct image for him. Somehow I want a little more concrete imagery in a poem so much about image. This is a subject worth much inspection and further understanding for it is misunderstood by so many. What about the modern world causes so much narcissistic behavior if not the full blown personality disorder?

Matty11

Re: The Narcissists

Post by Matty11 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Neither an authentic personality but interested only in how they perceive themselves as being perceived.

Exactly Linda, though I think I need to use my original title to define the relationship.

What about the modern world causes so much narcissistic behavior if not the full blown personality disorder?

Fair point Linda. I've been re-reading 'Pride and Prejudice' and Victorian/Edwardian literature. Perhaps my strategy to disengage from the 'modern world' , but the themes are well trodden (Narcissist/Echo being a classical myth)

all the best

Phil

indar

Re: The Audition

Post by indar » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 pm

The change of title makes quite a difference. If I understand the psychological definition of narcissism it has more to do with no sense of self other than through the feedback from others--imaginary or otherwise. These two feed off one another as I see it.

"Narcissism" along with "surreal" are two words that have been thrown around a lot lately.  

Matty11

Re: The Audition

Post by Matty11 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:11 am

"Narcissism" along with "surreal" are two words that have been thrown around a lot lately.

I didn't realise that Linda, though I am aware that Trump has been described as a narcissist. My context was more the 'creative' world than the political world. Obviously conceit/arrogance/vanity/narcissism are human characteristics in a range of contexts for readers as in all subject matter.

best

Phil