Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Discovery (children's poem)

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
TrevorConway

Discovery (children's poem)

Post by TrevorConway » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:40 pm

They say Columbus discovered America,
but people were already there.
They wore feathers and fired arrows.
Some of them shaved their hair.

When they saw Columbus coming,
they must’ve said to each other,
“Who is this strange man
that we have just discovered?”

Matty11

Re: Discovery (children's poem)

Post by Matty11 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Hi Trev,
I wonder, to get the kids thinking and open up discussion, cut S1 and let S2 be the poem?

Phil

TrevorConway

Post by TrevorConway » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:37 pm

Hmm, Phil. That does sound interesting, but then I wnder if some readers might be aware of who Columbus is, and hence they'd need the "scene setting" of the first verse. What do you think?

Thanks for your input.

Trev

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi Trev,
Some will, some won't, know the context. Always the case. I thought, for older children, some trust of knowledge. The poem opening a discussion on identity as well as historical perspectives.

Phil

TrevorConway

Post by TrevorConway » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, Phil. Appreciate it.

Trev

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:04 pm

I would leave in the first two lines because they set up the second stanza. Since some will know about Columbus and some not it will confirm to those that know that they know and help those that don't.
I would drop the next two lines since they are cliché and pretty irrelevant unless you want to say what Columbus was wearing. It seems to reinforce a certain primitiveness in the indigenous people.

I would also drop strange as it is kind of leading/misleading: strange in what way? Besides, the lines have more directness and power without. All IMO of course.
Dave

TrevorConway

Post by TrevorConway » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for those points. I mentioned the feathers, etc. to make sure a child reader would know I as talking about Native Americans rather than some other people/Europeans who happened to have gotten there first. And I hoped simply calling them "people" before showing they were Native Americans would avoid the primitive cliche (I don't consider the wearing of feathers, etc. primitive, just culture), but maybe I need to look at the connotations again.

Thanks for your help.

Trev 

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:47 am

I wondered about L3 and L4. What denotes difference? Clothing, weapons, skin colour, language...how difference defines 'discovery'. It would be another discussion point.

Phil

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:40 pm

What is the age group of the intended readership? Children is a broad category. Having said that, the piece incorporates some end-line rhyme which is good in terms of children and poetry. The piece provokes because it reverses the Eurocentric POV and encourages multiple interpretation of this historical event.
Can regular arrows be said to be fired? Is that not the province of firearms? 
Fun fact: The first sighting of land by the Columbus expedition is said to have been by a Italian sailor, on watch up a mast, with the name of Amerigo Vespucci.    

TrevorConway

Post by TrevorConway » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:38 am

Hi Mark,

Around age 8-9, when I imagine children are fascinated by major historical facts. I must look up whether non-firearms can be "fired", but we use "fire" even for "throw" here in Ireland, so maybe it's okay. Thanks for your observations.

Trev