Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Sadducee

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Sadducee

Post by indar » Fri May 06, 2022 3:22 pm

Sadducee

You who have cast me
as your enemy,
if I knelt before you,
dressed in simple garment,
knelt on hard ground
over a stone bowl
filled with pure water,
stayed steady on my knees,
determined,
washed your feet,
first one, then the other,
washed them earnestly
as prescribed
by your source
of scriptural authority,
would you listen?
Would you then
listen to me,
a woman?

AlienFlower

Re: Sadducee

Post by AlienFlower » Sat May 07, 2022 9:49 am

Linda, this is so beautifully constructed. The simplicity of it makes it strong, built as it is on two points: the kneeling and the washing. Each line afterward adds to the meaning of the kneeling and the washing. Even the listening is based on this repetition. It's a kind of prodding form of discourse that implies this has all been asked before, and anticipates a negative answer.

I don't know this history. They had a low view of women? (who didn't ;) ?)

Jackie

Eric Ashford

Post by Eric Ashford » Sat May 07, 2022 3:14 pm

Sorry, I get really so very tired about the appressed, oppressed suppressed, victimized and downtrodden woman thing.
Yet its's well written. I like the biblical reference.
Cheers.

AlienFlower

Post by AlienFlower » Sun May 08, 2022 6:20 am

Sorry, I get really so very tired about the appressed, oppressed suppressed, victimized and downtrodden woman thing.
Hmmm.

indar

Post by indar » Sun May 08, 2022 10:48 am

Thank you both, Jackie and Eric, for your response to this post.

The Sadducees were a group of religious leaders, arbiters of strict Jewish law. They recognized no division between religion and government and established power in the political arena more than the religious. To maintain power (along with fortune and status) they sided with Roman rule, often to the detriment of their own people.

Jesus, as a reformer of his people is said to have washed the feet of his disciples, an act of extreme humility, saying, in essence: when you do this for the least of us, my brethern, you do it for me (there are at least 3 different versions in the synoptic gospels).

I wrote this address to the Sadducees, sarcastically reversing the act, in reaction to the supreme court opinion leaked to the press rescinding abortion rights. As one political commentator observed, if this passes, it will be the first time a constitutional right will be taken from Americans. No matter what personal feelings one might have about abortion, everyone should fear the power of some to impose their religious views on government. Too bad the gun toting, Bible quoting "Christians" of the alt right have lost track of much of the mission and message of religious reformer, Jesus of Nazareth.

Eric, I thank you for recognizing the scriptural reference and positive comments re: the writing. Had the supreme court been attacking the recent gains made by the LGBTQ community and the poem written in the voice of a gay man, a lesbian or a trans-woman would you have reacted in the same way? 

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Mon May 09, 2022 7:39 pm

I like it, Linda. Even more so after your explanation.
The way you 'use' the story is excellent, it's like listening to Jesus...the tone of questioning is so Him.
Contrary to my surname I'm against abortion, not from a religious standpoint though. Politicians (etc) who quote the bible, complicate that issue. The religious argument is manipulated by these (mostly) men who, I'm convinced are atheists just looking for votes. I'm sure some of them have real moral issues, but they hide behind God for protection.
Anywho, while I might not agree with abortion, the separation of religion and state is absolutely paramount. Something we achieved fairly recently. 
I can see where Eric is coming from, well I could until I remembered something I keep forgetting; your quest for equality has (seriously) taken a back seat and has been overshadowed by others, especially the very vocal trans. It's still too easy for men; we're not affected if women want to be called men...we don't have to fight for our rights. 
No, this poem isn't just good. It's quite brilliant. The frustration is controlled. The message, like a blade being sharpened through the lines...then the final cut.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue May 10, 2022 1:55 am

Excellent poem excellent politics and anyone who gets tired of a desire for people to be able to speak freely and safely is tired of life.
Dave

indar

Post by indar » Thu May 12, 2022 10:40 pm

Thank you both Colm and Dave, for your thoughts on this one.

Colm, I don't think anyone is FOR abortion per se--it must be a wrenching decision. I could get into the horrors of what some politicians are proposing such as forcing every pregnant woman or girl--as in a 12-year-old victim of incest or a rape victim--to give birth. But my intention in this write is, as you've pointed out, to continue to call for the separation of church and state as the power seekers will otherwise use their "special knowledge of the authority of God" (said ironically) to oppress the lesser of us.

Thank you, Dave, for validating my politics on this one.

bruise

Post by bruise » Fri May 20, 2022 6:26 am

indar wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 3:22 pm
Sadducee

You who have cast me
as your enemy,
if I knelt before you,
dressed in simple garment,
knelt on hard ground
over a stone bowl
filled with pure water,
stayed steady on my knees,
determined,
washed your feet,
first one, then the other,
washed them earnestly
as prescribed
by your source
of scriptural authority,
would you listen?
Would you then
listen to me,
a woman?

I think this is a wonderful poem. I needed the explanation of who the Sadducees were, as well as the interpretation of Christ's washing of the feet. I don't know if that's a problem or not. 

However, as a poem addressed to the Christian Taliban, I think it's powerful and they should listen. They won't. I weep for where America is going, and also that it's dragging the rest of the world down with it (ably assisted by my country, the UK). 

My take on the debate above is the same as Linda's in response to Colm - the issue is not being for or against abortion itself, but who has the right to decide. It's fine to have legal boundaries (number of weeks etc) and advice from medics, but, ultimately, it is the woman's body and future, and therefore her decision. I think that should be a fundamental right. And restricting that right does nothing except drive abortion into the back streets, the home-death methods and create yet more pain and suffering. But neither the Taliban nor the Christian Taliban agree with that. 

indar

Post by indar » Fri May 20, 2022 10:10 am

Thank you Bruise,

We are forewarned: ironically, what happens when control of a government is seized by a minority of extremists has been demonstrated by countries we've gone to war with in recent times. The difference just now is the amount of global power that is at stake.

The first test-case is the Roe v. Wade issue. Bad as it is, I am in fear of where and how far the power grab will go.