Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

street talk

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Dave

street talk

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:35 am

in some towns people talk,
strangers exchange words
lighty as gulls

here in Hamburg
they remain tight lipped,
ignorant, their empty faces 

pass by  
even when you say 

thank you or excuse me
you left a trace across my path 

your shadow remains 

or fuck off 

even that 
loses heat in the void

I am grateful to beggars,
the homeless and drunk
who look me in the eye 

whose needs break down code 
into feelings I can sense and share

Tracy Mitchell

Re: street talk

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:50 am

I expect you won't be offered a position with Hamburg Visitors Bureau any time soon.  :roll: :roll:

This narrative has the feel of truth to it, and it is not exclusive to Hamburg.  

S.1 L.3 -- "lighty" ?

Nice writing, Dave.

T

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 am

Thanks Tracy
Yes, its funny as an Irishman living in a town where people find it almost impossible to speak to any stranger in any kind of normal exchange. One can live in a place too long, even though it is actually a great city all told to live in. Lighty was a misprint

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 pm

I have lived in both kinds of places.  Fargo, ND, surprisingly seemed notably unfriendly to me, much as this poem describes Hamburg to be.  Though the city has much to commend itself, it was not a place for me.  Certainly not when I was less out-going than I am now.  I am reluctant to admit that I chose the university I attended based predominantly on the welcoming attitude of random strangers during my campus visit.  It turned out to be a good decision, but not for that reason.

Cheers.

T

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:26 am

Interesting. And somewhat depressing. According to my extremely well-traveled girlfriend, we Saffas are unusually gregarious in this regard. We make eye contact and strike up conversations with strangers, no problem. Apparently this is taboo in many places and could even get one into legal hot water!  I live in a small town and it would be considered rude not to greet passersby, and race is not a factor. In the cities, due to the volume of people, it's different but we are a friendly and helpful bunch, mostly, except for the assholes and thugs.