Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Motive

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Mark

Motive

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Conspiracy
is a crime,
whereas

coincidence isn’t.

Tracy Mitchell

Re: Motive

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:18 pm

Can the Bastards
prove agreement
tacit, implied

or otherwise.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi Mark -- Nice observation.  Another work of concision.  
Less is more.

T

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:21 am

I like your quad-reply :mrgreen: yeah, in general, hand baskets and hell seem inadequate descriptors. Maybe God will send a few meteorites to land in just the right places but it seems doubtful.   

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:39 am

Hey Mark
While this is typical neat writing, the poems leave me feeling a bit vacant of substance. My reaction to the first was rather  yes, even if true, so? How should I relate to this? Who can I envisage when I try to apply it to real life. In any case conspiracy as such is clearly not a crime. Only certain kinds of conspiracy, whereas many people ahve been convicted for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The secnd makes me immediately: which bastards and why are they as such. I also ask myself how would it help me to answer this question (despite the fact that you ommitted a question mark, it is a question)? Would I find a useful answer? If yes, they can, whoever they are, then they can prove agreement. So? If not and they can't prove agreement, so?

In other words, while I accept art in general and poetry very often is better off asking questions rather than providing pat answers, I do think the questions need to point the reader towards some light of some kind - and I don't mean a kind of woke happiness - and more than neat writing. Personally the form as such leaves me cold.

Nonetheless, as always it is great to have your writing here so that I can have this dialogue.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:08 am

Sorry Dave -- the second short poem was mine, and should be be blamed on Mark.

And sorry Mark -- I wasn't intending to step on your poem.

Cheers.

T

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:30 am

Hey Dave

I write these short poems because of a combination of laziness and limited time. It's also a challenge to try and create something unpackable, in this case with 7 words, I think it was. Of course, with anything complex in so few words, opacity is a likely result, unlike say, a 7-word description of an apple. In this case, I meant it to be ambiguous with a panopticon-sensitive vagueness in these desperate times. The first way to see it is that so many of the geopolitical events that may be viewed as a component of a globalist conspiracy are explained away as 'coincidence' by the propaganda machine known as the mainstream news media. Conspiracy to commit a crime is a crime whereas there is no limit to the credulity of a long list of coincidences, which is all conveniently innocent. That's the first possible take.
The second is to do with the discrediting of 'conspiracy theory'. Anything that smacks of an unfavourable hypothesis to rationalise an event can be made instantly taboo by labelling it as 'conspiracy'. Therefore the proponents of such theories should, in my view, abandon the 'conspiracy' angle and go with the 'coincidence' approach. As a concept, the worn-out meme of conspiracy theory should be replaced with 'anti-coincidence theory' as a new label to hang on precisely the same circumstances. Call it ACT for short. Add a suitable F-word to create FACT. This would probably get a lot more traction - as a string of random coincidences moving anything in a cohesive direction is generally regarded with cynical suspicion, and rightly so, imho. The possible motivation should then be examined, hence the title. 

Do you know about the novel White Noise written in 1985? About a chemical train derailment and toxic chemical cloud in Ohio? Made into a movie and released in 2022, some residents of East Palestine were extras in the movie which was shot on location in north-east Ohio?
What, if anything, should we make of this oddness? Coincidence?