Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Night Vision

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Night Vision

Post by indar » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:17 am

Fresh off Fives and ready to get serious about my writing again ( I admit the following needs a little work)

Middle of the night I was awakened
by an inexplicable glow
on my bedroom ceiling
from whence a heavenly angel descended
accompanied by an ethereal chorus
singing Strange Magic by ELO 
no white robe, wings or halo,
this apparition was the spitting image
of Reddy Kilowatt from 1950.
He charged me with an important mission--
proclaim this message near and far,
two words: electric cars

Tracy Mitchell

Re: Night Vision

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:44 pm

Oh my, our N experiences a late night visitation from an apparition, and gets charged with a celestial mission--to proclaim the miracle of electric cars. What excitement might the next episode bring?  Oooooh.  Ahhhhh!

I recall the NSP adds proclaiming that electricity is penny cheap.  Improve your lives electrically!  Safe, reliable and cheap, cheap, cheap. :D :D
Vintage Northern State Power Adds

But like every marvel of the "modern" world, we need to look deeper, and ask more and better questions.  But with that said, we also know a lot now, about how to live sustainably.  If we choose to actually bother.  

Roy and Homer-- cartoon spokes persons for NSP.  I recall several very entertaining adds, and as simple cartoons, probably very low budget.

As for the craft of the poem, I am not sure what you would want to change, except perhaps the punctuation.

Cheers.

T

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:04 am

It seems you and paul Simon are having those visions, but he with less humour

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:35 am

Writer's dreams are strange beasts which follow their own dream logic.  But they are often fun and provocative to write about.

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

indar

Post by indar » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:09 am

like every marvel of the "modern" world, we need to look deeper, and ask more and better questions.  But with that said, we also know a lot now, about how to live sustainably.  If we choose to actually bother.  

As for the craft of the poem, I am not sure what you would want to change, except perhaps the punctuation.

Thanks Tracy. Yes, on a more serious note (more serious by far than the tone of this write) we must get on it and NOW. I'll also get on the punctuation--I might be able to correct it. Can't believe you found that old cartoon animation--bless the internet!
It seems you and paul Simon are having those visions, but he with less humour

Thanks Dave for the read, I'm not certain why you referred to Paul Simon unless he also did a version of "Strange Magic" which doesn't seem likely.

ELO - Strange Magic (Remastered Live) Electric Light Orchestra 1976 - Bing video
Writer's dreams are strange beasts which follow their own dream logic.  But they are often fun and provocative to write about.

Thanks Gyppo, Missed you in the "fives"--I'm just creaking back to life with my writing efforts after a many-month hiatus. I hope to actually dream something as entertaining as a visit from Reddy Kilowatt but for now I can only imagine it

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Electric dreams. Psychedelic stuff. Have you watched Michael Moore's Planet of the Humans ?

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:16 am

I referenced Paul Simon because he has just issued a new album with religious themes and the lyrics of which came to him in his sleep.

indar

Post by indar » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:29 pm

Electric dreams. Psychedelic stuff. Have you watched Michael Moore's Planet of the Humans ?

No, I can't believe I have not even heard of that one but I will certainly look into it! Thanks Mark.
I referenced Paul Simon because he has just issued a new album with religious themes and the lyrics of which came to him in his sleep.

Interesting. I seem to have lost track of Paul Simon since "graceland".  Thanks Dave