Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

What of Thought and Feeling-Sentience

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
skylightgreg

What of Thought and Feeling-Sentience

Post by skylightgreg » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:37 am

Under the chill of a prescient moon
even the black of night will encase you
in the bitter breeze of white-
in realms of time and
temperament, frozen under 
the mirrored dome 
of consciousness.

What of thought
and feeling-
sentience?

All mirrored worlds themselves will crystallize
like fields of snow before they melt into translucence-
before all things sylvan
both winged and emerald-white,
stretch to sky like pencil point
toward blue.

One prick and crack:
shatter your way into eternal light
-the shining golds of Spring season,
the splendor of a dozen daffodils
breaking through winter's encasement.

Music begins to rise and fall
in glissandos of Achille Claude Debussy.

You know gentility is your strength.
An angel carries you to rose of moon,
its tilt of opening bloom
-your soft yet sudden
becoming.

Colm Roe

Re: What of Thought and Feeling-Sentience

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:59 pm

Very nice first post, Greg.
Don't be put off by the lack of comments around this time of the month; it's nothing to do with the quality of your poem. 
Being Irish I laughed when I read One prick and crack, they have very specific meanings here  ;) 
I hope you enjoy your time at TTB, and look forward to reading many more of your poems.

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:42 am

Hey Greg
As my Irish friend said this is an excellent start. Perhaps a tad overly poetic for some but perfectly well formed for others. There is scope for exploring other wordings perhaps as ome are close to cliché, though fitting to the style here. (shing golds, splendour and winter's encasement. I am allergic to angels in poetry but that is not your problem. I have one question: is that a hyphen between feeling and sentience or a dash since I would have thought sentience is the ability to feeling and am puzzled at what feelingsentience might be?

looking forward to more

skylightgreg

Post by skylightgreg » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:26 pm

Thank-you so much for your thoughtful response, Dave.

I myself was not too thrilled with the umbly mumbly ultra-poetic style of this poem.  But I wanted to get it turned in, since Indar is encouraging me to post a poem every day for five days in a row, then wait a month and do the same thing all over again.  Do most poets operate that way?  Of course, the next go round I'll be able to marinate some poems and that will be a fun experiment.

I just posted my second poem, the board suggested that I was posting a second poem too soon after the first one.  Hmmmm.  That's confusing.  But it allowed me to post anyhow.

I'll be curious to see what you think of this new poem.  It reads much like a prose poem--not too sure whether many folks make such posts.

cheers,

greg

Oh.  What of thought and feeling--sentience.  That question I was using a dash, not a hyphen.  Thanks for noticing that I didn't make that clear.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Hey Greg
The five poems in five days is on another thread here on the site called fives and runs from the fifth of every month til the nineth. As for posting a second poem too soon, not sur ewhy unless it is felt yout comment on others' poems before doing so. However, I noticed you did comment.