Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

In Arcadia

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tracy Mitchell

Re: In Arcadia

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 am

St Johns on #63 -- gots to be Lutheran.  Just guessing - Lake City, Rochester?

I recall being at a neighbor's funeral some years ago and talking with a guy in his 90's.  I commented that Olander [the deceased guy] had lost most of the trees in the grove protecting his farmhouse.  He responded that some trees have shorter life-spans, he told Olander's father to not plant the trees he did in the grove - "told him they wouldn't last".  I marveled at the notion of being so old that you are cognizant of the life span of trees (I marvel less these days).

Nice open-ended wrap to this, Tim.  There is the thought that we take care of buildings because buildings outlast us.  And most buildings outlast the memory of most of us.  Nobody can remember, indeed.  :)

indar

Post by indar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am

There are three weeping willows 
in front of St. John's
on Hwy 63. 

the ee in three, weeping and spelled out three all suggest "tree" without using that word. These things interest me. Was it intentional?

This puts me in mind of the apple trees (most likely the wealthy variety developed years ago by U of M hort to stand up to harsh weather) and the windbreaks around the lost and forgotten farmhouses. stone foundations buried under weed entanglements. I wax nostalgic. Much said here in so few lines. 

I'm guessing somewhere around New Market. Or one of those south central German communities like New Ulm.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Quick hijack:  Indar I think Dassinger is from the New Market/Little Chicago area.  Hijack over.  :)

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Tracy Mitchell wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 am
St Johns on #63 -- gots to be Lutheran.  Just guessing - Lake City, Rochester?

I recall being at a neighbor's funeral some years ago and talking with a guy in his 90's.  I commented that Olander [the deceased guy] had lost most of the trees in the grove protecting his farmhouse.  He responded that some trees have shorter life-spans, he told Olander's father to not plant the trees he did in the grove - "told him they wouldn't last".  I marveled at the notion of being so old that you are cognizant of the life span of trees (I marvel less these days).

Nice open-ended wrap to this, Tim.  There is the thought that we take care of buildings because buildings outlast us.  And most buildings outlast the memory of most of us.  Nobody can remember, indeed.  :)

Actually, it's up toward Turtle Lake WI, Tracy.  Trying to say something about the trinity actually.  But the longevity of us, and buildings, & trees works for me. Thanks for thoughts.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 pm

indar wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am

There are three weeping willows 
in front of St. John's
on Hwy 63. 

the ee in three, weeping and spelled out three all suggest "tree" without using that word. These things interest me. Was it intentional?

This puts me in mind of the apple trees (most likely the wealthy variety developed years ago by U of M hort to stand up to harsh weather) and the windbreaks around the lost and forgotten farmhouses. stone foundations buried under weed entanglements. I wax nostalgic. Much said here in so few lines. 

I'm guessing somewhere around New Market. Or one of those south central German communities like New Ulm.

I like your observation about the "ee" sound, Indar.  I really did try and keep the sounds consistent. But really, saying Weeping Willow TREE is kind of redundant to me so I try and name specific things when I can.  Saves repetition in my mind.  

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm
Quick hijack:  Indar I think Dassinger is from the New Market/Little Chicago area.  Hijack over.  :)

Love a good hijack, Tom.  No worries on my end.  

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 pm

:)