Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Can we bring back Voyager's gold invite please

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Can we bring back Voyager's gold invite please

Post by Colm Roe » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Good and evil
do not exist, they're just
biblicisms (sic).

Less evolved 'brains'
only 'want' to 
eat, shag and dominate
as much as they can,
but have too few neurons 
to take their time
to try new things, 
like compare,
and enjoy the torture.

adolf wasn't 'evil', just
a product of evolution,
and a reminder
of its dangers.

lshmael

Re: Can we bring back Voyager's gold invite please

Post by lshmael » Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Some interesting philosophy here. Does evil require an identity? I don't think the universe has one. I found "Voyager's gold invite" quite witty. As for critique, I would have liked some more imagery.

avwhis6466

Post by avwhis6466 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Hey Colm, I’m chomping at the bit to get into the philosophy :) , but in trying to keep this response focused purely on the poetry, the only critical thoughts I had were regarding the nonchalant attitude and tossing off of “good” and “evil,” words that end up being the keystone of the poem. According to the narrator, there is no evil. Ok. But then under that condition how can the narrator qualify certain aspects of evolution as dangerous?

It’s like a self-contained paradox. The narrator dismissing good and evil but at the same time making a point about the dangers of evolution. I just think that perhaps the language and the shock factor of the first statement and the bit about Hitler might actually detract a bit from your main point, which I’m assuming is that evolution is a double-edged sword, sometimes yielding greater and greater horrors.

I did love the line about less-evolved brains having too few neurons to enjoy the torture. A fascinating and terrifying thought, the evolution of sadistic behavior! :shock:

indar

Post by indar » Wed May 09, 2018 9:32 am

Egads Colm,
Poetry is supposed to offer fresh perspectives and this one sure did. I think the word is specialization not evolution.

Is the human race becoming overspecialized in the (still primitive) urge to territorialize? 

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 am

Colm Roe wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm
Good and evil
do not exist, they're just
biblicisms (sic).

Less evolved 'brains'
only 'want' to 
eat, shag and dominate
as much as they can,
but have too few neurons 
to take their time
to try new things, 
like compare,
and enjoy the torture.

adolf wasn't 'evil', just
a product of evolution,
and a reminder
of its dangers.

Lost me on your first sentence.  Got me back with S2.  Lost me again on the end.  Was happy S2 was longer so I could enjoy it more  :)  

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Wed May 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Chilling, Colm.  I love the depth to which your writing so easily takes us wide-eyed readers.  :D

I'll be back to this one after I have digested more of it.

T

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks all.
My mind drifts through life, not thinking too much about anything specific.
It's only when my fingers touch a pen or keypad that I really engage with the 'machine'
A thought occurred to me. 
Technology is an artificial evolution, and I think we believe we're advancing in line with it!
I don't believe in a 'force' of good or evil, God or Devil.
But I do believe that the more technically advanced we become the easier it is to 'dismiss' 
other people/s as sub-human, or less valued.
When we attain wealth we build walls. 
But when we feel real power we care less if their foundations are built with stones or bones.
We evolved from simple emotionless cells, to complex intelligent creatures capable of genocide; and the thoughts of (super intelligent) aliens paying us a visit chill me to the bone. 
BTW, Good and evil are just accusations, simplifications...'Frank made me a nice cup of tea after he sexually abused me' 
Rant over  :)

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Colm Roe wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm
Thanks all.
My mind drifts through life, not thinking too much about anything specific.
It's only when my fingers touch a pen or keypad that I really engage with the 'machine'
A thought occurred to me. 
Technology is an artificial evolution, and I think we believe we're advancing in line with it!
I don't believe in a 'force' of good or evil, God or Devil.
But I do believe that the more technically advanced we become the easier it is to 'dismiss' 
other people/s as sub-human, or less valued.
When we attain wealth we build walls. 
But when we feel real power we care less if their foundations are built with stones or bones.
We evolved from simple emotionless cells, to complex intelligent creatures capable of genocide; and the thoughts of (super intelligent) aliens paying us a visit chill me to the bone. 
BTW, Good and evil are just accusations, simplifications...'Frank made me a nice cup of tea after he sexually abused me' 
Rant over  :)

Rant nothing, Colm -- this is a beautiful lyrical haystack from which to build a poem.  "we care less if their foundations are built with stones or bones." -- wow.