Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Thrive

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Colm Roe

Thrive

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

We agate our layers,
spread them thin.

Build new mountains
granite or limestone,
some wear, some hold.

Through our fissures, filaments
seize fractured chances
and grip.

Pine trees grow 
above the snow line,
and even below
in arid rock

they thrive.

Tracy Mitchell

Re: Thrive

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Unless I am misreading this, you have written an optimistic poem, Colm, even though the new growth gains foothold in our fissures.  

Not sold on 'agate' as verb, but am still cogitating on it.  The rest of the poem flows so nicely.  

Cheers.

T

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 pm

Inspired by Turkey, (and I'm sure many other places) it's so dry, and yet these trees abound, growing in rock.
Yeah, agate might be pushing the poetic licence thing...but you know me...every noun is just an undiscovered verb  :lol:
Glad you (mostly) approve. 

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 am

This is not one of your best IMO Colm. It is too obvious what you say and while it flows it creates too many statements which have the effect of leaving the reader out. I cant see what you describe and the poem leaves me at a disadvantage.

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Dave wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 am
This is not one of your best IMO Colm. It is too obvious what you say and while it flows it creates too many statements which have the effect of leaving the reader out. I cant see what you describe and the poem leaves me at a disadvantage.

Thanks for taking the time to read this Dave.
I'm disappointed you felt left out, it is, about you, me, them...the human condition.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 am

Sorry Colm something about the style. Tells me too much. It feels to me that it talks about what it shows rather than shows it.

indar

Post by indar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

This might be a companion piece to one of your earlier posts re grains of sand settling downstream in a canyon (sorry if I butchered that--too lazy to check back for it---it's hot out). I almost want a more sedimentary verb than "agate"  :D  Actually "we agate our layers" rummages up a rather odd visual to me---sort of a nature themed version of transformers :D :D :D

As to other elements of the poem, I think I've mentioned before a holocaust survivor artist who planted acorns in holes he drilled in huge boulders. After his death the oaks continue to crack those boulders open and seek the ground. 

Both his work and your poem speaks of the indomitability of the life-force

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Yeah, I think I'm becoming a two trick pony...either death or sediment  :lol:
Anywho, I'm glad you got what I intended.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 am

Hi, Colm,

I actually like broad, spectral, philosophical type themes b/c I'm not very good at them. That being said, I do like this one but a bit abstract. At first read I thought it was about the scourge of fracking or raping the landscape somehow through man's ignorance.

And maybe it is b/c I'm still thinking that way. Interpretation is so fun.

Write on!!