Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

A Swell

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
Tim J Brennan

Re: A Swell

Post by Tim J Brennan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Colm Roe wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 pm
But the Good Friday [erasion] of Christ saved us all Tim! 
It's strange (or maybe not) the way we appreciate (or not) a poem. Dave's take
is so different to mine. His POV is (of course) as valid.
I'll always remember my disappointment when I eventually saw the Mona Lisa; 
not that I ever really liked it. But I expected a different experience. 

ps: It still can save us all.  We just need to let it, Colm.  

pss: I saw the Mona Lisa. Not impressed  ;)  

psss: different takes on different things is what makes the world go around.  Methinks.  

indar

Post by indar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Tim,

Indeed. My reaction is far different than others here. My general take is of a relationship in which the N feels diminished. The "sketch" is a hollowing out; the resentment of an implied demand for apologies beyond what the N feels is necessary; the bare survival of "floating" rather than the more active way of living in water and, of course, a wish to die rather than face the recrimination of surviving the death of the other. Strangely I feel somewhat impatient with the N. I may have to go off and question myself about my reaction. It could just be something in the air.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am

indar wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am
Hi Tim,

Indeed. My reaction is far different than others here. My general take is of a relationship in which the N feels diminished. The "sketch" is a hollowing out; the resentment of an implied demand for apologies beyond what the N feels is necessary; the bare survival of "floating" rather than the more active way of living in water and, of course, a wish to die rather than face the recrimination of surviving the death of the other. Strangely I feel somewhat impatient with the N. I may have to go off and question myself about my reaction. It could just be something in the air.

Different reactions don't bother me at all, Indar.  I like your take ("resentment; implied demand; apologies; recrimination, etc).  

What's not to like about a reaction like this?

(ps:  If you are still doing what you do, you may have met one of my former students at the Fair)

indar

Post by indar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:57 am

Hmmmm who might that have been? I am indeed still doing what I do (47 years)

dploeser

Post by dploeser » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 am

it's a wonderful love poem, but it has words that don't need to be there.  you can say --you are drawi ng . You on't need sand.  s4 has too many "the-" I got in big trouble for using to many "the".  I  counted four.  I hope to die first. period. You don't need "and i know why."  thanks for posting your poem.

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:14 pm

dploeser wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:14 am
it's a wonderful love poem, but it has words that don't need to be there.  you can say --you are drawi ng . You on't need sand.  s4 has too many "the-" I got in big trouble for using to many "the".  I  counted four.  I hope to die first. period. You don't need "and i know why."  thanks for posting your poem.

Thanks for your words and read, dploeser. Please don't die and I don't have a clue what that means anyway.

Agree w/some of your thoughts here but I have no desire to get into a "I did this / you did that tit-for-tat"...

dploeser

Post by dploeser » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

what i mean is i would get rid of the next line "I dislike explanations that much " I think it takes away from a powerful statement.  one i have had myself. the "the" reference was kind of a joke--i guess it's to soon for that.   

Tim J Brennan

Post by Tim J Brennan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:13 pm

dploeser wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm
what i mean is i would get rid of the next line "I dislike explanations that much " I think it takes away from a powerful statement.  one i have had myself. the "the" reference was kind of a joke--i guess it's to soon for that.   

I'm still not following your tone, dploeser. Too soon for what?  Do you have some kind of problem with something?  

I'm sorry, but I will be discontinuing my contact w/you.  Good luck w/your writing.