Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Beer Tent -- chat, Banter, Trash Talk

Deb

Re: Beer Tent -- chat, Banter, Trash Talk

Post by Deb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 pm

I think microphones are allergic to me. :?: Mine says it's working. I follow all of the steps and can see the soundbar hears my voice but I think it may be simply for conversing through the camera and not actually recording. If it can record, I haven't figured out how, not even by following every step with the MS Word tutorial for speech to text.

MS Word does read back what I write in a monotone male voice that won't say the word, ups. It says, "U P S".

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Geez, Deb -- careful pruning and you have a 'found poem' sculpted of your last entry.   But maybe that's not what you were going for?  :D :D

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Deb.  Could it be you are using the wrong tool?  The way I understand it 'speech to text' is voice recognition software, which turns your spoken words into text.  It doesn't record sound the way a tape recorder does.

I've been fiddling around with a bit of free software called Audacity, which, once you've figured what does what and how to get the basic settings to suit yourself, will record your voice like a tape recorder and let you save it as a sound file.  mp3 seems a popular choice.

But, just like word processing software, it can do a lot of things you probably don't need.  Nerdy stuff which just confuses anyone who only needs a basic speech recorder.  I'm still trying to get it how I want it ;-)

The recording I have over on the 'Let it be spoken' thread was made a few years back using an earlier and seemingly less complicated version of audacity,

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Deb

Post by Deb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 pm

You're right Gyppo. Originally, I wanted to write a voice to text poem to just let it flow. Then I got my wires crossed and tried to record my voice with speech recognition software. Silly me.

I'll have to find something that works. Maybe upload something on youtube for the, "Let it be Spoken" thread. I'm so amped up for our vacation that starts on August 10th that I'm finding it difficult to focus on much else but packing and planning. And . . . this is a Deja Vu. Weird.

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Deb,

Enjoy your road trip.  By the time you get back I may have learned enough about microphones and recording software to offer some useful advice.

Or totally bamboozled myself ;-)

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

Deb

Post by Deb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:22 pm

I wrote a poem about camping called, Sweet Summer Sweat, for the Summer magic thread. Nothing special but the idea was to lure the reader in to the campground and finish with a bit of tongue in cheek. I read it to my boys last night and got quite a reaction, a negative one. They hated the way I ended it. :shock: :? :lol:

So, there is this sick part of me that really enjoys this thought and makes me laugh. Is that messed up or what? :shock: 8-)

Deb

Post by Deb » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Gyppo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Deb,

Enjoy your road trip.  By the time you get back I may have learned enough about microphones and recording software to offer some useful advice.

Or totally bamboozled myself ;-)

Gyppo

I have confidence you'll figure it out. Then you can clue me in.

Thank you, by the way. I've never been on a road-trip I didn't love.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

You will love the trip for all of the reasons you conjure, and for those not yet imagined.   :D

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 pm

What a good time -- I am so glad all of you joined in the festivities.  Writing is damn hard, well - writing is easy, good writing is damn hard.  MSPF here at TTB is premised on the notion that it should also be fun, that we can make it fun.  Especially when the moon is full and the corn is in haze, the stawbs are ready for picking, and life is as dandy as you can make it.  

Cheers.

T

Now drink up quick -- we have the closing ceremonies.  :D :D :D

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Over so soon  :(
A bit like life, it's so short...I feel a death poem coming on...nah, you guys deserve a break from that shit  :lol:
Congrats to our new Poet Laureate, Deb  :)
And congrats to all who were involved.