Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Main Gate and Information Booth

Tom

Re: Main Gate and Information Booth

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm

NOTICE -- Tomorrow is the last day of the Festival, so time draws to wrap up your drafts -- post the balance of your Decaths, honor the Crappy Poem Thread with your sacrifices, and definitely 

VOTE FOR POET LAUREATE -- LAST CHANCE -- GREAT POEMS -- SHOW YOUR SUPPORT-- BUY ME A BEER

It is not last call, but it will bee.

Cheers.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:00 pm

It is my sad duty to declare The Tangled Branch's second Mid-Summer Poetry Fest closed.

But it is my delight to declare it a wonderful success.   :D :D :D :D :D

What a great time.  We hope you all join us again for the festivities.

And for NaPo, of course, when the time comes round.

Cheers.

Over and out.

T

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks again Tracy  :D

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Thank you Colm. :D

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:06 am

Not so active this time around - the heat really does slow down my brain - but I've enjoyed it nonetheless.  So-called 'Real Life' does sometimes get in the way as well.

But it encouraged me to to finally buy a new microphone and look into the choices of recording software again.  (I'll have a bit more to say about that elsewhere.)

Clifftop Drummer and It's Not Yours have been lurking at the back of my brain for a long time and the Poetry Fest gave me that final push to getting them out of the labyrinth and onto paper.  A bit like the Jump Master at parachute school shoving you out through the hatch.  "You know the theory, now just get on and bloody do it."

Valhalla Could Be A Problem surprised me a little, which is always pleasant.  It's been taped to one of my internal doors for a couple of years now, and as a written piece I was happy with it.  But I've been looking for works to be read aloud and along with When I Am An Old Man it cried out to be 'performed', and I discovered that a few words didn't sit right on my tongue and as a spoken piece a few more crept in to replace them, like the 'hair rolling in fluid waves down across their shoulders'.  Like live storytelling, I suspect no two performances will ever be exactly the same.

My daughter cracked up the thought of me wanting to see a prospectus for Valhalla.  "That's just so you."  It was also another line that just added itself 'live'.

=====

So I've learnt far more this last few days than my limited output would suggest.

I am now a few steps nearer to my first open mic event.  In a venue so small and cosy that I probably won't need a microphone.  In those long-ago outdoor medieval shows we rarely used amplification.  Just a Town Crier's projection. 

Thanks to all who slaved away behind the curtain to make it happen, and to everyone who shared the ride.

Gyppo

I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)

ajduclos

Post by ajduclos » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 am

This was fun - thanks to everyone.  

Tracy - I think Marcel's question posed to you about halfway into MSPF was quite legimate:  Do you ever sleep ?!?!?

Some awesome writing, some fun writing, and some crappy writing - I was very happy there was a crappy poem thread !!!!!!

And Gyppo - wish I could be at one of your upcoming open mic readings.  Very much enjoyed the two read on the Spoken Word thread - great voice and balance to the presentation.  And you are right that no two readings will ever be alike, both in words and timbre - I know this from music and songs.

Also, Deb, our Port Laureate - congrats !!!  And Colm, Lecram06, Indar, Cheryl12, Dave, et al -   Thanks for an enjoyable time.

Aj    

indar

Post by indar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Norstrand woods as I recall is contains the site of the little house in the big woods Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Beautiful place.