Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
murmac

Post by murmac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:15 am

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mark

Re: Holy Synchronicity

Post by Mark » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:39 pm

I liked the title and the time-lapsed photo. Other than meeting Juliet at a trance dance on the Danube in July, the rest went over my head at about 10 000 ft, sorry.

PS. I removed your two content-deleted topics from the board to save others the waste of clicking on an empty topic. Trust that works for you as well.  

murmac

Post by murmac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Last edited by murmac on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:27 am

Here is the log to jog your memory. There were no comments otherwise I would have left the thread/s alone. Basically cleaning up after you as a courtesy to others, a seemingly thankless task.  

Mark102.140.112.11Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 0:28Deleted post “Now wow wow” written by “murmac” for the following reason
» poster deleted own post - now removed from board
View forumMark102.140.112.11Thu, 18 Jun 2020, 0:22Deleted topic “Holy Synchronicity” written by “murmac” for the following reason
» Duplicate post
View forummurmac99.227.172.153Wed, 17 Jun 2020, 12:08Soft deleted topic “Holy Synchronicity” written by “murmac” for the following reason
»
View forummurmac99.227.172.153Wed, 17 Jun 2020, 12:04Soft deleted topic “Now wow wow” written by “murmac” for the following reason
»
View forum

murmac

Post by murmac » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:29 pm

I'm only going to explain this once. You as an ordinary member can't delete a topic, even one that you started. You can only edit the content by deleting the post but you can't delete the topic, understand? That's why it says soft-deleted in the log of your activity. So the topic sits there on the board and people click on it like I did and find that although the topic exists, there's nothing there because you have deleted your post but not the topic because you can't do that. That is SOP for this type of forum software and moderators see what everyone else sees. You also don't get to dictate how things should be arranged to suit your erratic posting and deleting habits. If you want a topic deleted, and have a good reason, then you have to ask a moderator to please do that for you and as a general rule a mod or admin won't delete a topic if someone else has commented in the thread, for obvious reasons.  

A blank topic with no comments is an annoying thing for members to click on so I removed Now Wow Wow as a public service,  and you can see, if you take the trouble to actually look at the log copy I provided, that I did not delete your Sense Making Sense thread nor am I trying to talk about it, so all that babble about comments is null and void. I removed one version of Holy Synchronicity because you posted it twice and I removed Now Wow Wow as a topic because it was blank and had no comments.

I hope you understand this because I'm having some doubts about your attention span and general coherence. Let me make it crystal clear that I don't appreciate having to provide a lengthy explanation regarding a basic moderating task, or even having to act as a moderator on such a small forum in the first place.

As a result and as a moderator I'm warning you to be more conscientious and deliberate when starting new topics, in order to avoid littering the board with blank topics when you suddenly have a change of mind. It's inconsiderate behaviour so stop doing it, thank you.         

murmac

Post by murmac » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am

I'm not going to apologize for anything certainly not at your behest.

Rambling on about comments that were irrelevant to what I deleted is babble.

And I told you the mods see what everyone else sees on the boards, so why try to subsequently say otherwise?

And I have said nothing about your device.

Telling me I need to set up the boards in a certain way to suit you is trying to dictate matters.

Don't try and twist my words, I said there should be no need to moderate on such a small forum, and generally there isn't here. I think this is my first intervention. If I didn't want to be a mod, I'd remove that hat myself.

Given all the above, not to mention your prior posts, me saying you give the impression of having an attention span and general coherence issue is more accurate than insulting. Or would you like to set a poll?

My warning to you was to be more conscientious and deliberate when posting new topics, nothing more. You say you will do this in future by leaving all your "uncommented" poems up. So where is the heavy-handedness if you find room to be compliant?
And why do you feel the need to take down a piece if it receives no comments? Some kind of bratty ego issue? Scroll back here and you will likely find other pieces without comments, including stuff by me as well, I think, and no one felt the need to delete their poems because of that occurrence.

Kindly consider all the above questions to be rhetorical, to limit further discourse in this thread. Enough already. I felt like I was doing you a small favour by completing a deletion you started. Case closed, say thanks and move on, no worries. Instead....
But whatever, I will refer this matter to the mod panel for further discussion, which is standard mod practice. Hopefully Tracy will be around to resolve things.

In the meantime, stop arguing and demanding apologies and rather practice your new topic-starting ethic because your previous practice was discourteous and litter-like, whether intentional or not.      

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:59 am

If I may gently interject. I believe mark began this thread quite politely and with the intention of being helpful. " I removed your two content-deleted topics from the board to save others the waste of clicking on an empty topic. Trust that works for you as well."
The logical and simple response would be either be 'yes thanks' or 'No, is there another way to deal with such empty threads like leaving them up.' Intrinsically there is no real issue. 
If Mark says moderators see what others see on the boards it is common sense and courtesy to believe him. He has little to gain from not telling the truth.
The issue clearly concerns the difference between a poem that has no comments and a thread that has no content. One can stay and the other can easily go as serving no purpose than to waste other users time.
If I may offer another piece of friendly advice: don't always compare with another site. It may do things differently and may even do things better but that's great because it leaves everyone with a range of options and choices they can make for themselves about what they prefer.
It is indeed important to remain courteous and friendly - avoiding personal remarks, overlook explanations and unjustified demands. Saying please and thank you does not hurt either.

indar

Post by indar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:14 am

I've addressed this by PM with mur but I want to add a few of the comments I made to him here as well. The writers on this forum are refugees from the storms of past forums who scrambled together this "poetry only" gathering tended to by participants with nothing to sell and no other intention than improving our writing by interacting with fellow members. We've proven ourselves to be serious about our poetry. We've worked out our disagreements in agreeable ways. We've learned to accept a few of the technical shortcomings of this site and we've lasted through 3 NaPo and 2 midsummer challenges with good humor and no judgement :D

I am proud of what we have. I love this good company. I happen to think the quality of writing here has been higher than work on any other forum. 

I probably would have assumed as Mark did that when a member removes a post it follows that the entire thread becomes meaningless and should be removed. I agree with Dave that Mark did carry out this clean-up politely. I suggest that if the comments still have value to the one who posted he or she will copy them to a private stash.