Welcome to The Tangled Branch!  Join us.

Memo to the Following:

General Poetry - post, comment, review, critique
indar

Memo to the Following:

Post by indar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Memo to the Following:

Zeus
Olympus, Mountain Top,

Odin
Asgard, End of Rainbow Bridge,

Yahweh
Burning Bush, Desert Wilderness,

The Hindu Crowd
Amarvatiaka Meru, Varkkunthu, Everest,

Kunitokoachi and Amenominakanushi
9 Fold Cloud Layer, Sun Moon Sea,

please relay this memo to anyone I've missed.

Where have you been?

Haven't you noticed 
the rumble of planet crust;

the smell of forest fire and brimstone;

the wandering to and fro, up and down
of the displaced and desperate?

When will you step in?

Why have we worshipped you these many years
if all you plan to do is leave it up to us?

poet-e

Re: Memo to the Following:

Post by poet-e » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Clever!

Perhaps less gods.

I'd flip the last 2 stanzas.

Matty11

Post by Matty11 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:00 am

Like it Indar. I'd suggest the opposite to P., because of the 'fun', more gods :)

Odin rather than Oden?

best

Phil

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Losing your religion Linda?
Some cultures believe they actually deserved whatever miseries befall them  :roll:
If you're thinking of writing a letter...don't waste the stamp...They're not listening.
Say your prayers, I do, out of habit, for other people...just in case  :)
Although I'm thinking we should all, en masse, stop entertaining Their egos...They might hear the silence!
Loved the poem  ;)

indar

Post by indar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:22 pm

THank you all, poet-e, Phil and Colm,

p-e, I considered the flip you suggested but the ppint of this write is that it is indeed "up to us" and I feel ending on that suggestion is most effective

Phil, yes Odin :oops:  I am on shaky ground with the addresses i gave but I might research and add some in the future.

Colm I most certainly am not losing my religion. One of my first loves and still a favorite poet of mine summed up my belief in a few lines of his poetry. The best one: "Some duty to be beautiful and good/owed by the lost child to the dreadful wood". MacLeish

If it helps some to consult a god by an earnest process of discernment that's a good thing as long as god is not used as an excuse for shirking human responsibility. Silly poem perhaps but that's my point.

Colm Roe

Post by Colm Roe » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm

indar wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:22 pm
THank you all, poet-e, Phil and Colm,
Colm I most certainly am not losing my religion. One of my first loves and still a favorite poet of mine summed up my belief in a few lines of his poetry. The best one: "Some duty to be beautiful and good/owed by the lost child to the dreadful wood". MacLeish

If it helps some to consult a god by an earnest process of discernment that's a good thing as long as god is not used as an excuse for shirking human responsibility. Silly poem perhaps but that's my point.
Nice response L  :)
But we are mad things. Wanting to be beautiful and/or good is evolution in action...nothing more! 'Good' mothers and beautiful children are just some of Life's ways of loving and propagating itself. 
Gods are always 'used'. The sooner we abandon them the better. 
Consult your inner self and question your God. 'Dreadful woods' only scares children or sheep. 
I'm a good person, don't follow the rules that my religion demands, rules that suggest a possible journey 
to Hell. 
All religions are bogus. There are so many, and anyone who claims (and they all do) that theirs is the one true
religion only proves that they're bogus.
It's sad people can't own beauty/goodness like lost children in this wood; if there are no Gods it's the only wood
we have...not dreadful at all  :)

indar

Post by indar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Tragedy is inherent in life experience, if we show grace and goodness in the face of it we have been called to some higher self. Easy to be beautiful and good if all around is beautiful and good but its not. Oh boy, is it ever not.

Tracy Mitchell

Post by Tracy Mitchell » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Somewhere deep in the historical archives of a Michener book I first heard reference to a tribal culture wherein the folks of that society would freely switch gods if they came to believe their current god was weak or sick or misguided, etc.  Is a major task of humans to find the proper relationship with their god(s)?

Your N seems to still be working that out.  :)   Your N asks the essential question, Indar. 
I love this.  Deep truth wrapped in delightful humor.  

More please.  

T

indar

Post by indar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am

So glad to see you back here Tracy, 

I thought I read every Michener book---some more than once-- but I don't remember the culture you reference. I do know that i love Michener's acceptance of, no, reverence for the beliefs of whatever culture he wrote about. How to deal with the pluralism we are faced with in so many aspects of our modern era.

Thanks for the thoughtful and positive comments.

Gyppo

Post by Gyppo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Someone once asked me if Gypsies have a specific god or religion of their own.  The general answer is 'that of the host country'.  A lot of them are drawn to the colours, scents, and pageantry of Catholicism.  I've heard that in Russia they tend towards the Orthodox.  Quite a few of the English ones feel an affinity for the Baptist or Methodist, which I think of as the 'shirtsleeve religions' for the working man

But often the only signs you will see of any of these is when they have a Christening or a funeral.

Gyppo
I've been writing ever since I realised I could.  Storytelling since I started talking.  Poetry however comes and goes  ;-)